Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5 month old Boston Terrier who's living at my parent's house with me and we have a ~6 year old ~35lb lab mix who is a family dog.

The lab mix has allergy issues that lead to her incessantly chewing her paws until they're bloody that have cleared up since we cut out certain proteins (she eats either venison or buffalo based foods). She eats Merrick wet food; while I like the brand I hate wet food and have decided to try switching her to kibble and see how she does.

The puppy has been on Orijen puppy food. She doesn't really like it (would much prefer the older dog's wet food) and she has absolutely terrible smelling gas (a breed trait but something that can be influenced by diet, obviously), so I've decided to switch her as well.

I'd like to feed them the same thing for simplicity sake so was looking for a good all life stages but my local store didn't have any merrick all life stages (not even sure if they make one?), but they did have a nice selection of Taste of The Wild, which I like for being not too expensive but still pretty good quality, but they only had puppy or adult formula.

The Orijen food is 38% crude protein and 20% fat while the Taste of the Wild adult food I got is 34% and 18% but their 'puppy food' line has even lower protein and fat ratios. I'm figuring since she's a small breed puppy and not super tiny anymore the TOTW is OK, but I wanted to double check.

Also, how fast can I switch them over? Is a week OK or should it be longer? I'm having trouble even getting the puppy to eat enough food anymore- she'll take a few bites and then wander away and I want her to learn that if you don't eat things when they're offered you don't get offered that meal again.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I really like Zignature it sounds like your Boston had some meat intolerance. The taste of the wild may not be any better because their foods have a lot of different meats in the food. Zignature has one meat in each food and no grains. A all life stages food should be fine at 5 months. I had very good luck with the turkey variety.
I would get a small bag and see how your dogs do on it. The only one I would not try is the Zssential formula because it has more than one meat in it. Stick to one formula for a month or two then if it does not suit your dogs move on to another formula
Our Menu | Zignature

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
Acana , go! also have single protien foods to find go foods visit the petcurrean website.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
At 5 months, you should be fine to switch to an adult formula. Small breeds don't need to remain on a puppy food for a year or so because they are fully grown by 6 months. TOTW is fine as well, my guess is your pup is having issues with either the many protein sources or the caloric density of the orijen. I know this was posted on Dec 27th, so I hope the transition went well. I just like to add that any transition to any switch in foods should be done in at least a week. If the dog in question has issues within the week, then I would do even more slowly over 2 weeks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts