Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we adopted our dog earlier this month. she is a 2 year old boxer mix named Moxxi. vet says she is healthy. first time ive had this breed and never had problems with dogs and their food in the past so not sure what to do.
we started her on a canidea all life stages dog food but i was told it was to high a protein food for her stomach which was causing her diarrhea problems. so i am trying to switch her to pure balance which says its easier for digestion. i have been mixing the two foods the last week and all though the color of the stool has changed it is still mushy. should i still be mixing the foods or just go completely to the pure balance? or is there a better food i should be getting for her?

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
It might not be high protein causing her tummy problems, but the type of protein.

Is the protein the same in both foods? If it is try switching her to a food that contains a completely different protein then the Canidae, or if you like Canidae then a different formula of it. Feed that food for at least a week after transitioning, and make sure to NOT feed treats with the old protein. If her stomach trouble goes away you can check to see if it was the protein by feeding her a small amount of it for a couple of days to see if it upsets her tummy.

Reactions: cld22

·
Registered
1 Posts
Go blue

we adopted our dog earlier this month. she is a 2 year old boxer mix named Moxxi. vet says she is healthy. first time ive had this breed and never had problems with dogs and their food in the past so not sure what to do.
we started her on a canidea all life stages dog food but i was told it was to high a protein food for her stomach which was causing her diarrhea problems. so i am trying to switch her to pure balance which says its easier for digestion. i have been mixing the two foods the last week and all though the color of the stool has changed it is still mushy. should i still be mixing the foods or just go completely to the pure balance? or is there a better food i should be getting for her?
I had the same problem with my dog. I Switched to Blue Wilderness and he is great now. It has all the nutrients my dog needs, the perfect balance. Worth a shot. I came across this Healthy Dog Food Review-Favorites For Pets BEST OF LUCK!

·
Registered
102 Posts
All of my Danes have had very sensitive stomachs -- and loose stools from time to time seemed to be a common theme. Trying to give them only the best, I have tried so many high-priced top brands over the years (Wellness, Blue Buffalo, Taste of the Wild, etc) and still the loose stools would persist [vet checked, no parasites, or any issues, just a week or so of loose stools every month or so] -- along with basically turning their nose up to the food after the first bag or two (to the point of, literally, they would rather starve than eat the food). This never occurred with 'grocery-store' dog food (Pedigree, Purina) -- but I knew from the ingredients I had to do better. About a year ago my Pet Supplies Plus store started offering their own brand of dog food: Redford (included limited ingredient/grain free); the ingredients looked good and it was made in the USA. I can't say for sure if it's the dog food, but I can honestly say the loose stools are now almost non-existent with both my Danes and best of all, they still eagerly eat it -- that is a minor miracle in itself. With Danes you have to keep their protein and calcium levels down, especially during early development -- Redford fits within those guidelines, so that is important for me. I'm thinking that perhaps Moxie is still in the transition phase between where she came from and your new home and it may just take time for adjustment. But if it issue persists for more than a few weeks (as it did once when I had a Dane on Blue Buffalo years ago, but no recalls at the time - she had diarrhea for over a month!! :eek:) and the vet tried everything; finally she gave her a dose of medicine made for pigs (can't remember what it was called) and she was back to normal again! poor gal!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I got a rescue dog some months back and switched his food. His stool was variable - sometimes with mucous. He had already had a health check so I thought it must be diet and tried different food with no success. Then I read that mucous could be the result of worms so I wormed him. Result! :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts