Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog is 4 years old rottie mix. a few weeks ago his neck was swollen up like he had an adams apple. It is hard to the touch and can not move it around our vet was closed so I watched him closley. about midnight he was in a panic and having trouble breathing so I called the emergency line for $$ and they said give him benedryl I dont remember how much right now but I did. it didn't seem to do much.and then stayed up all night with my dog and took him to the vet the next day. They gave me something for infection and something for pain to give him and he got a pain shot as he had a fever. It mostly went away and I have been quite busy but checking on it regularly seemed very small almost to the point of being gone.

Tonight, (about 3 weeks later) he is whining while he's laying there so I go check and sure enough huge hard lump in his neck again and sure enough the vet is closed... seems to get bigger and bigger as the hours go by but sometimes it gets smaller as well so I'm very confused.

I don't know if I should get my buddy to tough it out until morning or give him something for the pain or even what to give him :(

My initial thought now is I switch up his food flavour every bag or two and wondering if he is allergic to this flavour, not sure if it was the same flavour as last time but I definately will take it into account but if that is the case would it still not happen until about halfway through the bag??

I will be back in the vet tomorrow morning if they have room but what do I do in the meantime ? Help please
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
615 Posts
if it causes difficulty breathing take him to emergency, they may need to do xrays or a scan something is causing it to come back , respiratory distress is not something to wait for
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
if it causes difficulty breathing take him to emergency, they may need to do xrays or a scan something is causing it to come back , respiratory distress is not something to wait for
This 2nd bout of swelling that started tonight has not affected his breathing, he is just noteceably uncomfortable. to call in emergency starts at 200$ and they hate it you have to call them at home they complain they are sleeping and then will take a half hour to get down there in our tiny town then will most likely push on the lump like last time and tell me to wait until tomorrow my town really sucks it's a ploy to get 200$ out of you for sure, and unfortunately I am on disability limited income so can't afford things like emergency unless it is an emergency. I love my dog enough I will take him to the vet in the morning and pay the xray bills and whatnot to figure this out I was just wondering how to proceed right now as i dont even know how to dose my dog with anything :/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Totally agree. It is not something to fool around with.
I also agree and am worse than an over protective parent when it comes to my big doofus that is why I did do the emergency thing last time, but this time he is jsut in pain it seems, I have no way to take his temp this evening, but I have a very tough dog so he doesnt show his pain until he is sleeping usually that's what worries me, I'd love to give him benedryl or asa to hold him over until morning but I am not sure which one or both or how much.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top