Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Sorry, I wouldn't be letting him on the furniture then, ever. My dogs know if they guard it they lose it. Biting isn't something I'm ever willing to comrpomise on.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have a great pyrenees. Of course I've got a dog with RG issues. He's not allowed on the furniture. If my GP bit me there would be more than blood happening, I'd be missing a limb.
Have you ever had a dog with RG issues?

My dog Josey had so many different things he had RG issues around, I would not have been able to feed him or let him have access to anything, if I took the stand you suggest. I might as well have given up on the dog. With the right training this issue really is resolvable. At this point, one would not even know my dog used to have a problem.

Understand this is largely a genetic predisposition, and the dog is more or less on "auto-pilot" when this happens. Biting happens when humans don't understand what is going on in the dog's "reptile" brain. Getting upset with the dog in any way, actually makes the whole thing worse.

Yes, I think it would be a good idea to not allow the dog on furniture until this is sorted out if that is possible with the little guy, although the owner may find that if the dog is very used to being on the furniture, doing battle over that matter, may actually activate the RG behavior and exacerbate the problem.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I'd have to deny him access to the house and to me and to my husband and to our kid, etc. lol I do limit what I have to be watchful over. So we pick up food dishes and don't let him on the furniture. That just makes life easier. So when I see that a dog is being aggressive over a particular item I see no reason to just remove the item in dispute if it's not life altering.
Well then you've seen that reptile brain in action then! ;)

Have you worked on the issue using any of the methods in the sticky link, or do you simply deny the dog access to what ever he guards?

·
Registered
753 Posts
I've got a pretty matter of fact and blunt way of speaking that often has people misunderstanding me. :p
But yeah, if it's just the furniture he is guarding that's the easiest (some would also say laziest) way of taking care of the problem.
Sounds like we are largely in agreement then. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.