Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just lookin for a few thoughts or bits of advice. My wife and I have 2 toy poodles, one is 6 and one is 7. The 7 year old is harmless as it gets, and the 6 year old is a very affectionate, loving dog with humans and MOST of the time with other dogs, I say most of the time because she will randomly lunge with the most blood curdling aggressive sounding growl at her brother or other dogs in the family.

It can be things like him jumping on the couch and if she simply didn't like it, she will dive at him. Or if he runs into the room to excited. Or if obviously hes near her food, or bone at the time.

Now its not always, its simply random. And the kicker as I said is with us and humans in general, she knows her role to the tee. She has never growled at a human once. I could pick her food up or take her bone, shed just look at me. Sweetest loving dog, but with her brother she can explode at random moments.

She never really did it in the first year or two, but then started to and it mellowed out a bit but the last year or so its picked up in frequencies. And I just am not sure what to do to at least try and curb it a little.

Anyone have thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Sounds like a bit of fear aggression. A lot of dogs are fairly laid back as puppies and young dogs but as they hit maturity at 2 years old they start developing more firm and fast boundaries as to what they will and won't have from other dogs. Things like being approached when on a high-up space like a couch or a bed can make a dog feel trapped and extremely defensive. Same goes for when they have control of a resource like food or a toy.

Make couches off-limits. Separate them to feed them. The first step to handling aggression is to cut out any and all chances for the dog to 'practice' the behavior.

Read this: http://www.dogforum.com/training-be...guarding-causes-prevention-modification-7511/

It should shed some light on where to go from here!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.