Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have been searching for information about the Swedish Elkhound (Jämthund), but i cant find any more detailed information and nothing about its health. Im always verry concerned about Hip Dysplasia in dogs. Does any one know more about them?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

We have a Norwegian Elkhound, which is more popular and smaller than the Swedish relative. Although our's is a rescue Elkie, I do not think the breed suffers greatly from hip problems - but don't quote me on that, as I am not and expert in the Elkhound field - I should imagine as they are very similar and are not a particularly popular breed out of Sweden that they would be quite a robust and healthy dog, as from what I have researched, they are only kept by game hunters in their homeland. I could also imagine they'd be more prone to hip/elbow troubles as they are a larger breed of dog.

Have you had any luck contacting breeders? If not, I think this would be the first step to finding out more as apposed to trawling websites :)

And like I say, I am not an expert, so please don't take my word for it :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I grew up with Norweigan Elkhounds, Jämthunds and Nordic Spitz's. None of them ever had health problems!

I am from northern Sweden and my dad used the dogs for hunting, pulling sleighs, took them on cross country skiing trips etc - so they were always well exercised and stimulated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I grew up with Norweigan Elkhounds, Jämthunds and Nordic Spitz's. None of them ever had health problems!

I am from northern Sweden and my dad used the dogs for hunting, pulling sleighs, took them on cross country skiing trips etc - so they were always well exercised and stimulated.

I know this is an older post but...
Sundaygirl, I have been trying to find a breeder for Jamthunds specifically in US for some time but have been unsuccessful. We are interested in this larger breed as I was able to see one at a show and it was absolutely beautiful.

Since you have contacts in Sweden, do you know of any reputable breeders...maybe the ones your family used that you could point me in the right direction? Feel free to PM me as well. Thanks

Jayson

1 - 5 of 5 Posts