Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got approved for $3100 of care credit for Delilah's surgery! We made an appointment for a consultation and likely surgery on June 5th. I'm very nervous about it but if all goes well she will be able to lead a more active and pain free life. We'll be able to go on long walks, hikes, and get back into training. Maybe even start agility lessons again.

For anyone who's interested but doesn't know about Delilah- she's about 2.5 years old, 6.5 lbs spayed female JRT x Rat Terrier mix. I adopted her from a rescue in TN. She has grade 3 bilateral luxating patellas, which were diagnosed almost immediately after I had adopted her, though the first vet told me the knees might just be loose because she's still growing/developing. She has a curved back, resulting in bowed hind legs, causing very messed up knees. Did an Embark DNA test on her and found out her inbreeding coefficient is about 47%- the equivalent of a brother- sister mating. Obviously wherever she came from, it wasn't a great place.

We had to stop with agility over a year ago, and over the past few months she's found it difficult to even go on walks, hopping on three legs the entire time and usually wanting to turn back early.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Delilah's having her surgery today.

My boyfriend was crying last night because he was worried she was going to die. I told him she'd be fine but if anything happens I don't know what I'd do, I've already lost 2 pets in the past year.

I'm also worried about the impact this will have on our relationship when I bring her to the vet and then just abandon her there. She's going to be so scared.

Hoping everything goes well. The surgeon was highly recommended to me and I love this clinic I've been bringing her to so I'm sure she'll be fine. I'm mostly worried about her being scared. And then her recovery... she's very high energy and it's going to be hard to keep her from running around or jumping on furniture. She'll probably need a lot of crate time.

·
Super Moderator
9,240 Posts
Sending positive thoughts! Hopefully everything goes smoothly and Delilah can start her journey to a pain free life.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So Delilah had her surgery today for both knees and it went well! I'm picking her up in about an hour. I'm so happy that she doesn't have to stay over at the vet. I heard her screaming and barking when I was leaving after they had taken her to the back. She must have been so scared :/

·
Super Moderator
9,240 Posts
Oh yay! So glad to hear it went well. I can imagine you've been stressed all day.

I imagine there is going to quite a bit of rehabbing?

·
Registered
38 Posts
So Delilah had her surgery today for both knees and it went well! I'm picking her up in about an hour. I'm so happy that she doesn't have to stay over at the vet. I heard her screaming and barking when I was leaving after they had taken her to the back. She must have been so scared :/
That absolutely breaks my heart ... but I am so happy it went well. Even when I had to leave my dog when he got neutered, I was a nervous wreck -- calling and checking on him every couple hours. I pray for a quick recovery!

I wonder if she was a puppy mill puppy. A lot of interbreeding happens there. Regardless, she's in a loving home now!

·
Registered
300 Posts
sending both you and your girl all the warmest wishes. I hope that in a few weeks she feels all better and can move easier. sure she is just glad to be back home.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for the thoughts! Delilah came home last night and she's just been exhausted and making these sad little whimpering sounds. Luckily she has figured out how to pee outside, even though it doesn't seem like she can use her hind legs yet. She won't drink any water, but this morning she started eating her chicken and rice, so I've just been adding water to that. The vet said no exercise for 2 weeks, and then on the second week we can start with short walks. The surgeon said he didn't think she would need any PT. But we'll see.

·
Super Moderator
9,240 Posts
Awe poor girl. Glad everything went smoothly with the surgery. Hopefully these next 2 weeks go by quickly.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Hang in there, the worst is behind you now. During the recovery time, rewards are noticeable and come quickly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts