Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Delilah had surgery back in June for Grade 3 luxating patellas in both legs. She had been recovering very well and has had two check ups where the surgeon had said her joints are much smoother, she's doing well, and she is able to start agility again.

The past week or so Delilah had been moving more stiffly on her hind left leg and also occasionally hopping on either hind leg. It's been very damp and cold here and I thought she might just be sore from the weather.

Last night one of her knees popped out and she couldn't get it back in. I tried massaging it back in but I couldn't either, I felt the bump though. She walked around limping all night. :(

I already emailed the surgeon and I'm calling the clinic tomorrow for an appointment, but I'm really, really disappointed. This was a $3000 surgery and we had JUST signed up to start agility lessons in October before this happened. She had been doing perfect, then both legs seemed to have gotten bad out of nowhere! I'm so confused and upset! :(

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
^
Fixable at a deep discount.

Sorry to hear about the surgery not working. I really do hope, if they can fix it, they will help you out with the cost...since the correction the first time around didn't work.

I just hope Delilah isn't in a lot of pain. It had to be so stressful for you when that happened too.

I had a little dog named Shilo, who's hip socket was too shallow for the ball joint on her right side.... it dislocated one day as she was just standing there...her hind leg just shot up to where her toes were over the line of her back, and she started screaming. I rushed her to my vet, and he popped it back in and wrapped it, and then two weeks later it happened again. My vet had showed me how to pop it back in, just in case, but I just couldn't do it...and felt like I was hurting her more, so another trip to the vet.

It was decided then, to schedule a surgery that would cut off part of the ball joint, and put it back into the hip socket and wrap it up and keep her from moving about too much until the ball kind of 'glued' itself into the socket. The nerve in that leg was messed up though and she lost all but very basic motor control in it, and she never did have it dislocate, and she could run quite well, although sometimes the leg flopped out to the side and without even slowing down, she kind of 'reeled' in back in, and under her and kept going. I called it her 'wet noodle leg'

I remember how, though, back then, I just hoped I would never ever have another incident where my dog had a dislocated leg... I felts so frustrated and stressed in not being able to get that leg back in. It's an awful feeling.

Take care,

Stormy

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both her knees are slipping out today, she's hopping constantly on both of them. It's a total regression.

Made an appointment with the vet that did her surgery but the earliest date available was Oct 5. I'm worried she's never going to be better.

Cancelled agility lessons.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Oh man that sucks!! I hope there's a solution that will last...and I hope the vet compensates for a good chunk of the cost!

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am so sorry! I can only imagine how devastating this is. Did they discuss what other options she had if the surgery did not work?
So the surgeon was very confident that it would work. He has been doing this for over 20 years and was highly recommended to me by a number of dog people, including both of my agility instructors.

He said with her tiny size and young age she shouldn't have any problems at all.

He did say after we pay for the initial surgery, his time regarding this issue would be free afterwards. All check ups have been free. He said if it didn't work for some reason, he would repair it free of charge with another surgery. I think I might have to pay for like anesthesia, pain meds, that sort of thing. But the labor would be free.

So my dilemma is, if it comes to a second surgery, should I do it?

I don't want to waste the $3000 I've already spent, and I do want to fix this issue, it sounds like it's pretty severe already and as she ages it will probably deteriorate into Grade 4 and/or arthritis.

But on the other hand it was a very scary and painful experience for her, and I don't want to traumatize her anymore than she had been the first time. Especially if it's just going to fail again.

I don't know! :(

·
Super Moderator
9,234 Posts
That is a horrible situation to be in and honestly the only one that can offer you sage advice in that situation is the vet. He sounds really knowledgeable and hopefully her will be able to help lead you to the right decision and maybe an answer on why it didn't work for both knees. Sounds like he is confident in his work considering he offers free labor afterwards. I would consult with the vet. I would probably lean towards a second surgery just because the temporary pain and fear will be nothing compared to the pain of arthritis and a shortened life.

Internet hugs for you though. I know this isn't easy for you at all.

·
Registered
666 Posts
My boy, Tucker had 5 knee surgeries at a very early age for luxating patellas. At first it was just one leg. It took 3 surgeries before it held. There are three types of surgery to fix this in dogs before resorting to a bone graft. Then the other knee went out. Two surgeries and no fix with either. Made a trip to a veterinary college. The only fix would have been the bone graft surgery with months of crate rest and physical therapy afterward. Tucker's temperament is such that it would have been impossible.

Tucker will be 14 in January. We adopted him when he was 6 weeks old and weighed only 1.2 pounds. The leg is weak and he does have some pain with it. He is on Metacam daily for pain and inflammation. If he exhibits more pain on some days, I also give him Tramadol. He is a feisty little 6 pound boy, and runs around with the best of them.

We only ever paid for the first knee surgery, the one on his first leg. The other two surgeries on that leg were free. Since the two surgeries failed on the second leg, our vet reimbursed us for the first surgery on it. The second surgery had been done for free.

We were only out about $350 for the five surgeries.

You might want to see an orthopedist veterinarian if the one you are currently seeing is not. All the best to you and your pup.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fantastic News!

Good news- I brought her in to be checked by the surgeon and he said her knees felt great and that after the surgery, back pain can affect the hind legs and mimic the gait of a dog with luxating patellas. He started feeling along her back and got to a spot on her lower back that when touched made her hind legs tense up. We think that may be the problem and that her knees are actually fine! She's on pain meds for two weeks. But that's such a relief that the surgery has actually worked!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I hope that fixes her!
Back pain can manifest in strange ways. I had a ruptured disc a couple years ago (fell off a roof). My symptoms were all digestive related. Lack of appetite, nausea, and kidney pain. After thousands of dollars in GI testing, we finally found the issue with the disc. Fusion surgery has removed almost all the symptoms for me.

Might look into a doggy chiropractor.

·
Super Moderator
9,234 Posts
Does the vet think massage or chiropractor work will help her back at all? Or is it just a lay low and wait it out game?

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
chiropractic & spinal pain // Acupuncture?

i'd consult a k9-chiropractor, myself -
after a car-accident in which i was asleep in the passenger-seat [16-hour working day, went out to dinner, my date was driving me home & cleverly used a power-pole on a curve to stop the car at 35-mph],
only my chiro helped me; the Drs at Centre Co Community Hospital were as useless as tits on a bull. :(

They told me variously that my inability to take A DEEP BREATH was 'emotional upset' [while patting my shoulder - i wanted to bite that Doc!], 'muscle tension' [3 weeks after the accident?!?!?!...], or 'mental trauma - U're anxious' [What?].

In fact, i was using 1/2 my right lung, 1/4 my left, I had fluid in both lungs, my diaphragm wasn't working, & i was heaving my ribcage open to breathe, each time - the way lizards & birds do, which is bl**dy hard work, it turns out. :eek:
I even gave the Docs the ultimate clue: my fingers, nose, & earlobes had pins & needles, all the time; a classic symptom of O2 deprivation, right out of basic triage or good nursing. :eyeroll:
Oy, vey.

By the time i saw my chiro, referred by my next-door neighbor, blessed be her memory, it was 3 full weeks, & i still felt like H***. // By the end of my 1st appt, I was able to breathe deeply for the 1st time in almost a month - i was crying in pain, b/c the muscles spasmed horribly on being released after so long, but i could BREATHE! - no more long-line girdle compressing my chest. Relief! :thumbsup:
I wanted to kiss Dr John's cheek.

- terry

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I would follow the Vets advice. There are times when less is best, and she may well completely recover on her own, with some anti-inflammation and pain medication. If she can heal on her own, that is by far, better than having some one poking, prodding, twisting and cutting. Lets hope!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts