Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just about to start training whistle recall for my dogs and I'm hesitating if I should get a super/ultra sonic whistle or just a normal one. If there is no disadvantage with the ultra one, I would prefer it since I will be using it with people around. So, are there any disadvantages compared to a "normal" whistle?

·
Registered
721 Posts
I don't know much much about silent dog whistles. If you prefer them, why not? I'm sure there are thousands of people out there using them with great sucess. For me personally, I preferr to hear what I'm cueing my dogs, so I've settled foe a shepherd's whistle. Nice and loud. Made to carry through wind and over great distances, works great here on the farm. But then I live on a farm in the middle of deep dark Africa, nobody gives a hoot if I whistle my dogs in at top volume.
I used to use a police whistle, but after learning to blow my shepherds' whistle I've never looked back, the thing I like best about it is you can get all sorts of sounds from it.
Sheepdog Whistle - dog whistles, dog tags and dog training whistle commands

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
In my experience, those silent "dog whistles" aren't very silent, and to me they're more obnoxious than a regular whistle lol. I can't imagine dogs would appreciate something so high pitched with their sensitive ears, if I can hear it with mine.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did try one in a pet-shop and to my surprise I was also able to hear it but in a weird not very pleasant way. I'm eagerly waiting for my shepherds whistle's, then there will be a few heavy treat-parties the first times the dogs hear it.

·
Registered
721 Posts

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one that has been training a whistle recall. Haha. I did what you plan on doing: I basically loaded the sound of the whistle by blowing it and dropping a higher value reward than his normal teaining treats. So far, he always comes when I blow it.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I plan to drop absurd amounts of chicken and cheese a few times a day for a week or so:D.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I never used anything but a regular old Acme whistle when I was training retrievers. I'd probably never master a sheepdog whistle. lol

I just paired the whistle with whatever command I'd been using for recall or sit. Teaching sit on a whistle is part of retriever training and a good skill for any dog to have. I never introduced the whistle or charged it like it sounds you guys are doing. Must be because whistle training was such a large part of retriever training that the dogs were taught it very early on.

Rex and Belle have been trained with a whistle recall and Gabby, sort of. :) She's so good with her recall and the emergency recall that I haven't spent much time using the whistle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts