Dog Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old girl has recently become a super picky eater along with her unspecified health problems (discussed in a really detailed, long post).

She turns 12 next month. Ate anything and everything until about a month and a half ago. When we first took her in for the UTI, they gave us some Hill's. We mixed that in with her old food, she loved it...for about a week. Tried a different Hill's (she's tried and gotten tired of G/D, K/D, I/D, and W/D). She'd tire of them all within a few days at the most. So many cans thrown out :( Forget dry, she doesn't want to touch it, even though that's what she ate her whole life. And she doesn't want the old stuff back either.

However, she comes to the fridge looking for goodies everytime she hears someone open it. Still sneaks under the table when we're eating, waiting for something to drop. And, she'll eat any deli meat, tuna, ground beef. Her vet ok'd giving her whatever she'll eat but I'm concerned about her getting the proper nutrition. I don't want her getting too much salt/fat and is it really ok to eat only meat? She will straight up spit rice/pasta/potatoes of any kind out on the floor when I mix it with meat. She's not going hungry. Ms. Picky Pants is getting whatever she wants right now, is absolutely spoiled rotten, and I'm perfectly fine with that but I'm worried this isn't good for however long I'm lucky enough to have her with me. :confused:

Anybody have any luck with any ready made foods out there that are more "real" meat? Or suggestions about what to add to her all meat diet?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
How are her teeth? You could try giving her chicken drumsticks. You can smash them with a hammer to help her learn to chew the bone at first, then back off the smashing as she gets it better. She will need the bone to help keep poops firm. Plain meat by itself will eventually cause runny poops. The bone also adds important nutrients as well.

Raw meat would be probably the best thing she could have. You want to add a variety of meat/bones and organs over time to get nutritional balance, but just give chicken a try first. It's the blandest, easiest to digest protein.

And, just in case she does seem to really like it here is a link to all raw feeding, with a getting started guide and forums and such for more info.Prey Model Raw - PMR dog food

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hm. I agree maybe try raw feeding.
EVO 95 is 95% meat, but I'm not sure if I can really recommend it as its very high in fat and could possibly give your old girl diarrhea because of that. I have fed it to my dog in small amounts wo issue though.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Anybody have any luck with any ready made foods out there that are more "real" meat? Or suggestions about what to add to her all meat diet?
My dogs love this.
Vital® Balanced Nutrition Turkey Dog Food Recipe with Peas, Carrots & Brown Rice
There are very few ingredients all good healthy ones. You can get it at walmart safeway petsmart or petco. It is considered a 5 star food. It is reasonably priced in the 6 pound roll. It can get quite pricey in the other choices. I would get a 2 pound roll and try it out. There are 3 different kinds so you can rotate it if she gets board.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
There's nothing wrong with homecooking for her. You can try pureeing the carbohydrate with some of the meat so that she cannot pick it out then just add in whole chunks of meat. I'd use quinoa as the carb (make sure to rinse it before cooking it) and throw in some cooked veggies. Eggs, non fat plain yogurt, canned 100% pumpkin (not pie filling) are some other good things to add. Since the diet will not be nutritionally correct (unless you wish to contact a vet nutritionist for a good recipe) you should add a good dog vitamin supplement to the diet. I've used Nupro in the past and it's a decent one Nupro All Natural Small Breed Dog Supplement, 1-lb canister There are also vitamin tablets but I've never tried them NaturVet VitaPet Senior Care Vitamins & Minerals Dog Tablets, 180 count

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions! Im so glad to have several since she gets bored so quickly :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts