Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

My 5-yr old aussie has elevated SDMA levels, even tho everything else about his blood panel is great...so that is a mystery we are working thru, but as a result of that warning, we are being super alert to kidney health and he has been on KD prescription diet for a couple months. Also, he has put on 5 pounds in that time, so we think we have to give him smaller portions.

We used to give him a C.E.T. enzymatic rawhide every night after dinner to promote his dental health, but several months ago, I seem to recall those getting expensive, and so we switched his nightly dental treat to a Pedigree Dentastix. I am wondering if that is possibly partly responsible for his weight gain, and tho it cannot be responsible for his kidney issues, I am also wondering if that particular treat is not particularly kidney-friendly.

So I am open to recommendations: What is a healthy chew treat, with dental advantages, that isn't too fattening and which is kidney-friendly? Should I go back to the C.E.T. rawhides? The nice thing about a rawhide is that he takes a little while to eat it; he loves the Dentastix as well, but consumes them pretty quickly, so I doubt we reap the same level of dental care.

Thanks so much for any suggestions!

Otherchuck

·
Super Moderator
2,505 Posts
I don't know if the recipe for Dentastix is different in the US but here they are pretty poor for dental hygiene even although that is what they are marketed for.

We like natural treats. My dog isn't a big cheer and likes raw chicken wing, dried (crunchy) compressed fish skin, and semi-dried (chewy) fish skins. Harder chews include bull pizzle and paddywack.

I also brush his teeth with a canine toothpaste. If you want to do that it's easier to start with a rough weave rag round your finger first.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm not a fan of Dentastix, the ingredients are awful and they don't seem to clean teeth any better than any other chew. As an occasional treat they're okay, but very sugary and full of calories. A raw bone and especially toothbrushing are cheaper, healthier and more effective!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Agree, an enzymatic toothpaste would help replace the enzymatic action in the old chews for a fraction of the cost.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts