Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a thread asking about possible breeds my fiancé and I can look at for our future dog. Well we moved in to a new place a bit sooner then either of us thought and we started to hunt a little. I found a shelter near us that seems to specialize in small dogs, I say that because most of the dogs there seemed on the small side. We found a mini pin mix that we both like, he's currently not ready for adoption cause of an ear infection. We did ask to meet him and went back today to see him. 4 years old, sturdy , 9 pounds and fully trained. Foster family said that he lives fine with there cats and hamsters and knows more then the basic tricks. We fell in love and are thinking of putting in an application. Yes I know most people have told me to look at Papillons and he's the furthest thing from that breed. To me he looks like a full min pin except the slight curl to some areas of his coat. Anyone with experience with these guys?

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
@jagger has Min Pin experience. I bet he can weigh in.

I will say Min Pins were designed to hunt vermin - particularly rats, so I would be careful. Even if he seems fine there, you just never really know. It's hard to suppress natural breed instincts.

Reactions: TruckersMom

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Pins are amazing little dogs, very smart on the whole and will try to outthink you - but one has to be aware of the different personalities depending on the way they are raised. It's wonderful that the dog you're looking at is great with cats and such already.

If you do end up with the dog, get a kennel - a bedroom of his own so to speak and blankets - that's his zone and leave him alone while he's in there - no need to lock the door. They love to burrow under blankets and be warm, leave a blanket or two around the home. You can expect a pin to eventually sleep between one set of legs or another in the bed, they are like a small furnace. It's a very endearing trait, but you have to be careful of that bump you're going to sit on, could be the dog. Near squished Jagger a few times.

My experience with Jagger? When I first met him he was a house dog, spent far too long in the crate, crazy on the leash, scared of the world. Wasn't exactly house broken, peed and pooped on the deck of the ex's condo. She moved into a house, he basically house broke himself.

I took Jagger to the extreme, and he turned out to be the "typical" minpin. There's a reason they are called the "king of toys", tenacious little buggers. Turned him into a confident and fearless dog able to go anywhere and be in any situation and not freak out. He is a great mouser/vermin dog and he has his own off switch. Once you get recall down, they are great running the dog parks...

A few things to consider.
They aren't miniature anything, they are a breed of their own.
Socialize the dog and never stop.
Figure out the personality and quirks quickly. IE most don't like being picked up by strangers and will bite. It's not a bad thing, they won't be stolen but adjust how people meet.
Calm and confident wins the game with these little guys - be the leader.
You and the spouse need to be a team on the same playing field with the dog - they learn divide and conquer pretty quick.

Raise a pin to be a pin and they will never cease to amaze...

Dogs 101 pretty much nails the pinscher.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.