Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I am in desperate need of help for my dog, and some advice.
I have a 5 year old Cocker Spaniel we got as a puppy, and we suspect she came from a puppy mill.
She (Chloe) has seperation anxiety issues (along with other anxiety and health problems), and used to be fine being left at home with my dog, Buddy. She sees Buddy as her pack leader and protector. But now she's starting to cause major problems to herself.
Please do keep in mind while reading this, the entire time they are both provided with food, water, chew toys, and a soft dog bed.
When we left the house, we used to lock her and Buddy behind a baby gate in our laundry room. We had no problems until we come home to find she has ripped up the linoleum on the floor, chewed on the wood floor on the other side and underneath the baby gate, and completely detroyed the latch on the baby gate. She would dig and dig into the floor. We started shutting the door to the room, and that calmed her anxiety, until, once again, we find she's torn the trim around the door off, chewed off the bottom part of the door, and torn up the floor. My dad then nails a hard piece of thick plastic to the door, which a couple days later she digs her nails in and cracks right down the middle.

We started crating her, in a crate where the sides are plastic and the front door is metal. She's been fine for several years with that, but last month I noticed her bottom front teeth are wearing down. I realized she's been pulling on the bars to her door, and not eating the treat-filled kongs we provide. We tried apple bitter spray on the bars and putting a towel over the crate, but neither worked, and her teeth are almost down to the gums now.
I'm looking for suggestions on something to prevent this. I'm also worried about wether or not to have her bottom teeth removed as we've been suggested since they're so damaged, because then if she pulls on the crate it will be with her gums.

I'd like to get her a soft crate, but she'll rip it. A play-pen, and she'll tear up the floor. We can't just leave them free in the house, as she will pee on the carpet, as she has done in the past when we tried it. We don't have a fenced in yard, so we cannot leave them outside or with a doggy door.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
6,281 Posts
What about a laundry room/large closet type of setup where she has access to just one room, totally dog proofed?

You should ask a veterinary behaviourist for suggestions on handling the separation anxiety, too. They may have suggestions you haven't thought of before, and they tend to see what's effective with a variety of homes in this situation.

Aside from that, doggy day care or a dog walker when you're gone might be best.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about a laundry room/large closet type of setup where she has access to just one room, totally dog proofed?

You should ask a veterinary behaviourist for suggestions on handling the separation anxiety, too. They may have suggestions you haven't thought of before, and they tend to see what's effective with a variety of homes in this situation.

Aside from that, doggy day care or a dog walker when you're gone might be best.
The laundry room was our original setup, but she tore up the floor, the trim around the door, the door itself, was starting on the baseboard, and I believe she was chewing on the cabinets under the sink. There really wasn't a way to dogproof it, other than tear all of that stuff out, and put in a metal door.
I would LOVE to get them Doggy Day Care or a dog walker, but my parents would never pay for it (i'm 16), and I have no way of paying for it. Besides, my mom is home most of the day, they are alone around 3 hours (1 in the morning, 1 in the afternoon, and the rest if we are out shopping for groceries or something like that), but that time she's in there is still starting to rip up her teeth.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, we do have her on anxiety medocation, all of this is with it. But she is allergic to so much we can't switch to a different medication or up the dosage.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You could go to a window place and see if you can get a custom cut piece of thick arcrlic to attach to the door, turning it into solid material---or even half solid. If they bevel it just right and do it on the bottom half they may be able to do it in a way it's not chew-able.

Since you'd be blocking off a major vent point I'd make sure the other holes are not covered and put a fan nearby to blow through.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.