Dog Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

My friend is looking to get a dog. She's going the rescue route so she may end up with a mixed dog, but I am still hoping for suggestions on what to check out and what to definitely stay away from.

*She lives in an apartment, in a big city

*The dog should be around 15 pounds fully grown (a little bigger or smaller is okay!)

*This dog will be the only pet in the household

*Lower energy preferred

*"Hypoallergenic" is preferred (they don't know if there is specifically a dog allergy, but there are allergies in the house, and they've only had Yorkshire Terriers in the past [a hypoallergenic breed]... better safe than sorry I guess!)

*She is perfectly fine bringing the dog to the groomer, if needed

*She has 3 kids, ages 3-13

(I explained to her that small dogs and small children aren't the best combination, but the size limit is a requirement of the apartment. She will not allow her toddler and dog alone together, and she will be certain the dog is happy with children before adopting)

·
Registered
442 Posts
Off the top of my head in the small dog category, with children that young, personally I would avoid any terrier mixes and Chihuahuas.

Yourpurebreedpuppy.com is a great site to get a quick run-down on the different breeds. I find the author is very honest and also gives a little blurb if she believes the dog is not the best fit for children. Even though your friend is open to a mix, reading the descriptions there could help

Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi there - in my experience Cairn Terrier and Boston Terrier could be ok even in a household with children if she falls in love with on of those. I myself have a soft spot for the dog called Löwchen, an intelligent, quiet breed that loves company and kids and often is groomed like a lion, which I find both cute and amazing.

The best of luck to her :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts