Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have a very sweet two-and-a-half Shepard/Lab rescue who's a bit skittish but friendly that I've had since he was a puppy. I work from home so we're together most of the time, and he's pretty co-dependent. I have a roommate who he loves but only when I'm around. When I leave, he goes right in his crate most of the time (which we don't use for anything else) -- he only used his crate for training as a puppy, like two years ago, ever since then he's allowed to roam around the apartment. Last week when I left, I shut the door to the crate room to see if it would make him more likely to hang out in my roommate's room, etc., but when he came in to look for my dog, he found him hiding under the bed. He started wagging his tail and stuff when he saw my roommate but stayed under. It's possible to get him out for food and walks and stuff but beyond that he usually hides until I come home. And then half the time I'm home he hangs out with my roommate!

Anyone have any advice for how to help him kick the habit? He clearly likes my roommates and friends a lot but only when I'm also with him. I'm going on vacation for a week soon and would feel bad if he was in his crate almost the whole time. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
564 Posts
The best would be for the roommate and dog to develop a good relationship on their own, without you. But then your roommate needs to put in time and effort, go for walks, train the dog etc. Is the dog even used to being in your roommates room? Otherwise I would start by all of you spending time in that room, so the dog will get used to being there.

Have you been training the dog to be left home without you at all?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts