Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I'm thinking about getting a dog and researching different breeds but am having trouble finding something that fits our criteria. I have two children (8 and 14), 3 indoor cats, and bunnies in the backyard. I need a breed that's going to get along with all of them. My initial thoughts were either a lab or golden retriever, but our fences are about 4 ft along the backyard so would have to be a smaller dog.

We don't currently own a dog but had a malamute before the kids were born, so have some experience. I think it would be nice for the kids to help raise a puppy (taking to training etc), so am looking for something happy with a daily walk and chasing a ball with the kids. Looking at the smaller breeds I've noticed they're either not going to get along with the bunnies (like terriers), they're prone to barking (which would drive me mad) or tend to be anxious. I am home a fair bit as I work part time. I would love any suggestions you may have for me, I'm not having much luck looking on my own.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Emily, cavies are lovely dogs but I've had family members lose two to heart problems. Only young and from reputable breeders too. Such a shame as they were much loved family members.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Have you looked into Havanese? They seem like they'd fit your criteria really well.

I'd definitely splurge and go to a high-quality breeder, one that does genetic health testing, shows their dogs, and knows their dogs inside and out. You may have to save a bit for the upfront cost, but you'll more than make up for it to have a dog that is emotionally and mentally stable as well as healthy.

Havanese are fun, spunky little dogs - plus, they are very cute!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Poppy, you might be onto something there. Just been googling them and yes, havanese are very cute! Thanks :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts