Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the future I see the opportunity to be able to own a dog. I'm a business owner and will have the time to be able to raise a puppy or a young dog since I will be living just above my business. I have two cats and am very happy with them, but my boyfriend is more of the cat lover. I am in need of man's best friend. So if anyone can help me out, maybe share with me info about their breed of choice, I'd be grateful.
I don't like big dogs. I'm a fairly small framed person, I feel like I have no control over big dogs. Medium or small sized is ideal. One that can lounge on my lap without squashing me.
Good tempered.
Not very hyper. I do not need a high energy dog jumping all over people and knocking over things.

I have a few dog books, so I've done some researching, so here are my thoughts, if you have any experience with them let me know how they do with kids, other dogs, and other animals (like cats.)

Miniature Dachshund: Ideal size for me, when I was in Berlin I saw that many of them were so obedient they didn't even need to be on a leash. They just quietly walked along side or behind their master. Would even wait outside of super markets for them, no leash at all!

American Cocker Spaniel: I've read nice things about them, and they're adorable. But I haven't been around any to really know their personalities.

That's all that I can think of off the top of my head. I know for a fact that I can't have a pug, chihuahua, maltese or a poodle. My boyfriend doesn't like them.

Anyways, I know this is long, but if anyone has any helpful suggestions please let me know. Thanks!

·
Banned
112 Posts
Try on a Chatham Hill Retriever for size, temperament and a calm demeanor in the home. Loves Children, people and other animals, too.

And keep in mind.....a dog doesn't just come housebroken and obedient....it takes work before and after you get it home. So find a god breeder, not a backyard breeder or a puppy mill setup. Look for a loyal enthusiast or conformation breeders. They are the best since they actually care about who gets one of their pups.

http://www.chathamhillretriever.com

·
Registered
303 Posts
Welcome to the Dog Forum Ninjanna! It's great that you are wanting to get a dog and want to do the research to find one that will fit your lifestyle.
There are many ways to go and you may also want to consider the local shelter. You will be giving a home to a lost soul who needs one.
But if you want to go with a specific breed, the ones you picked are nice choices. Doxie's are neat but can have back issues and can be hard headed. American Cocker Spaniels are not a breed I'd recommend. They have health issues and are known for incontenence. The ones I have meet have seemed tempermental and snappy.
The ones that you might want to have a look at are: Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, Papillion, Corgi, Boston Bull Terrier, Minuture Pinchers, and honestly, Poodles are great dogs. Smart and great with people.
There is a web site you can go to to read about different breeds:
www.dogbreedinfo.com
Hope this helps you in your search for your new companion!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey there,

To fit your needs, I recommend a more laid back dog. One that won't mind you not being there for periods of time, seeing as how you have a business to run, etc. But don't let him go for TOO long without attention. Something that won't crush you but is VERY nice could be a pug, a papillon, a welsh corgi, and maybe even a miniature bulldog...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your feedback, everyone. I'm lucky enough to be in the more laid back field of business of photography, so my pets will be at work with me. The former owner of my business has a Irish Wolfhound mix who has been the office dog for years. Regulars that walk past the studio look for Harry. I'll have my two office kitties, but like I said before, I have the tug at my heart for man's best friend.
I'll definitely look into your suggestions and if I have any more questions I'll be sure to ask on here. Thanks again!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Well I'm new here but I thought I would add my 2 cents. I have been around many different breeds of dogs throughout my life and I have worked in an Animal Rescue Adoption center. Given you have a business and your dog will be with you at work I wouldn't recommend a toy or smaller breed simply because a lot of them are yappers which can be distracting and irritating to customers. I used to own Shiba Inus which in my opinion were awesome all around dogs except they shed a lot seasonally and if they ever get away from you off leash you will not catch them. I don't know how most Corgis are but the one we have is beyond hyper, barks at the wind and sheds A LOT! so if dog hair all over everything is an issue you might look at some of the non-shedding breeds. Your best bet may be going with a mixed breed something that combines the better qualities of different breeds. I would suggest visiting local shelters they often have pure and mixed breed dogs readily available for adoption and the staff can point you in the right direction in picking out one that would fit your lifestyle.

·
Registered
20 Posts
you want a dog that doesn't need much exercise.
you don't want anykind of working dog.(including labrador)
honestly i think you need something like a english bullterrier
which doesnt bark. pretty lazy and layed back. good with kids
family, and being a bull kind of dog, you might get away claming
it on tax as protection. everyone knows the english bullterrier is not
a nasty dog. not very pretty at all, but lazy calm and great companion
for your business. Also the boston terrier or a bulldog if you don't mind
the mess.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Rescue a dog from a shelter, mutts are the best, but a lot of times you can get a great pedigree. They are very loyal to the ones that save them

1 - 8 of 8 Posts