Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My long hair dachshund, Foxy, has super fine, almost doll like hair. I bought an inexpensive clipper set, but I am having trouble with it actually cutting her fine hair. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions as to a different clipper set I could buy?

I would like to avoid taking her to the groomers as it gets really expensive fast.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also would like any advice that might help with my current clippers to groom her. Does it make a difference if you go with the hair vs against the hair when shaving a dog?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I use Andis AGC2 clippers. They were recommended by a professional groomer and have worked well for me for the past couple years. My dogs have fairly soft fine hair and it doesn't have any issues cutting. Nice clippers and sharp blades are really essential. I have a small cheap pair and it really doesn't cut through anything.

As far as your other questions go, I typically clip against the grain of the hair, but then the standard trim on my dogs involves shaving the neck and top of the ears closely with a #10 blade. I'm not sure about doing other clips.

I would recommended getting blades the size that you need, and not using combs if you're currently using them. That will work much better.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestion. About how much is that clipper set? I usually only shave my dogs body and legs so she is not as hot down here in south Texas.

·
Registered
291 Posts
They are about $150 I think.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is not too bad. I will have to save up for a couple of months. I have another question though. Does cutting the hair while its dirty help? Someone mentioned that it makes it easier to cut the hair because it make its it easier for the clippers to grip and cut.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have always heard to only cut when clean. I've tried both ways and it's much easier when the coat is clean. Dirty coats don't cut well and will dull the blade.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay. I'm still a novice at this grooming long haired dogs. Its been such a learning curve on how to groom her.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I definitely takes some practice. At least if you make a mistake it will grow back and you can try again!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know, I am grooming her again this week so I hope that with the tips you have given me that it will be easier to groom with my current clipper set until I can afford a better one.

·
Registered
291 Posts
You might be able to get something cheaper too. Like the Andis 1 speed should work fine. I would just avoid anything wireless, and invest in the right sized blades instead of getting the plastic combs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts