Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Adhara (pitbull terrier) - Adhara is the arabic name for Epsilon Canis Majoris, aka “the Dog Star” in the Sirius constellation. (I named her)

Cayenne Rose (red doberman pinscher), but we just call her Caya (wife named her)

Treasure Seeker’s Black Onyx (black & tan doberman pinscher), but we just call him Mr. Nyx, or “Sixes Nixes and Nines”. He got the obnoxiously long name because he is a registered and titled doberman from a named breeder, and breeders choose the names of their puppies.

These above three are my favorite

·
Registered
402 Posts
I've always like "Argos".

In Homer's Odyssey, Odysseus returns home after 20 years away. He creeps into his own house (for reasons that don't matter here) disguised as a beggar. His dog, Argos, who is old and sick recognizes Odysseus and wags his tail but is too weak to get up and greet his master. The dog stands as a symbol for the ultimate act of loyalty, having waited for 20 years for his master to return home and then dying within minutes of completing that task. This was in stark contrast to Odysseus' wife, Penelope, who was struggling--albeit ambiguously--with her own sense of loyalty/fidelity at the same point in time.

I think it was Homer's way of expressing that dogs, unlike humans, ARE capable of unconditional love. Homer didn't go so far as to put Penelope in the arms of another man, but in her thoughts she was struggling to remain faithful; a problem that Argos never had.

Incidentally, if you like reading at all then the Iliad and the Odyssey are pretty easy to read even, I think, for someone who isn't a literature fanatic.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts