Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Jack (big mutt, some sort of hound, maybe Pitt... Not sure) is/was crate trained. He is just over a year old. He goes in fine, has never wanted to sleep in there when the door was opened, but didn't whine when we put him in. Or in the morning before we let him out.

My wife wakes up and let's him out around 3:30. Let's him outside to potty, then he wanders around the house while she gets ready for work. He goes back in around 4:30 when she leaves.

I get up around 7 and do about the same until 7:30. Only I feed him before I leave.

Wife gets home around 1 to let him out and he is out for the rest of the day until 10:30-11:00.

Don't like having him in there that long, but I can't trust him to free roam.

He started whining when our alarms go off. He stopped whining when he sees us. Didn't think anything of it, we had to get up anyway, it wasn't ideal, but it wasn't causing trouble.

Now he is starting to whine earlier and earlier. He started at 2:30 this morning.

I'm not sure what to do. He's got to go to the bathroom in the morning, and we can't wait him out because we have to go to work.... Any ideas?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
With our dogs, it was all about our reactions to them. If the knew that their rattling of the cage would let them out, they would start rattling it earlier and earlier.

Our solution was to set an alarm. We would not let the dogs out until the alarm went off and we would make it an exciting thing to let them out. They stopped associating rattling their crates with getting out and instead associated the alarm with it.

So maybe go pick up a $10 alarm clock from Walmart and give it a try. Pavlov knew what he was talking about.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not a bad idea. I'm thinking we are gonna get some sort of bell or something that we can set off right before we get him out. That way we can ring it every time we get him out instead of having to set an alarm every time.

That's kinda what it started as is him reacting to our alarms.

Hopefully he doesn't wake me up at 2:30 again. We will see.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts