Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were having what I thought was a great evening. I actually read the signals and got him outside in time for a piddle, and we were playing really nicely in the house before and after that. Anyway, one moment we were on the couch and I was giving him his favorite treats for responding to his name. The next minute we were outside, and I was trying to give him the same treats as a piddle reward. He actually backed away from the treat and ran off in a different direction.

That seemed odd, so I waited and he apparently needed to poop. I thought maybe his intestinal distress had made him not want the treats. A little while later, I asked him to sit and offered him another treat for that. Same reaction, he backed away like I'd just put a hot poker to his nose and then bolted.

I've switched treats and that seems to have helped. I'm also guessing that after dinner and some training, he's not all that hungry anymore. But the sudden-ness of his dislike of what had been his favorite treat of all just seems odd.

I'm curious if he'll like them again tomorrow. Anyone else had this happen or have any idea what might have occurred in his little puppy brain to make him switch like that? :confused:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
If he sensed you were displeased at some point while you were holding the treats, that could be it.

Grem's done it before, and it was always while I was holding treats and got frustrated. He avoided those specific treats for almost a week, and I had to throw them away from me to get him to eat them, then slowly work up to just hand-feeding them again.

Other than that, I've got nothing, except that maybe he's bored of them or just isn't hungry.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
update

So the treats are back to being his favorite this morning. Last night, he must've gotten ahold of something that I didn't see that didn't agree with him. He was rolling around in his crate last night even more than I usually toss and turn myself :rolleyes:, and then he upchucked just a little bit, but it looked like there was a rock in there - the stinker. I swear I watch him closely...

Then, since he was up, I took him straight outside where he peed a gallon, and first thing this morning, he took two huge dumps.

Sooooo, too much food and treats yesterday evening. He was alone in his cage all day while I was at work and the puppy daycare place was closed due to a big storm power outage. I was trying so hard to do training and activities with him last evening/night, to burn off energy, that I think we both overdid it.

He seems fine and happy this morning, and off to play with his puppy peeps. :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.