Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my dog in December so haven't had him that long. He has medical issues which involve seizures but they didn't affect him until April. He used to LOVE his rope. Every morning he would play with his rope for at least 15 minutes even if I wasn't involved in his play. He also would play games with the blankets right before bed and it was fun and adorable. After being put on antibiotics and 2 imidicarb injections to treat 2 different tick diseases, my dog has taken on a very different personality. In the time frame of a week, my dog no longer feels interested in any sort of play or stimulation, he has been refusing his own dog food (unless I take it away for a day and add water to it when I give it back) but will beg for human food or eat the cat's food. He also has been constantly underfoot but acts nervous when you pet him. He will stick his nose up on all the tables and furniture as if he is constantly trying to find the smallest morsel to eat (he doesn't usually get scraps unless it's cooked veggies or eggs very rarely)

The routine in the house has changed since the weather went from 80 degrees up to 110 (we live in Phoenix) and my roomates who are teachers are now home for the summer. I'm wondering if either he is stressed out that people are home more often now or the weather is having a negative affect on him? Could it be the treatment he went through for treating the tick diseases? I would love some advice. I'm not ready to call the vet about it just yet.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Need a little more info. How old is your dog? Younger dogs can go through adolescent and other changes that change their personality.
What kind of dog food do you feed? Is he on anti seizure medication?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Need a little more info. How old is your dog? Younger dogs can go through adolescent and other changes that change their personality.
What kind of dog food do you feed? Is he on anti seizure medication?
Okay so Ollie is 3 years old (he is a chihuahua mix) and he gets fed Simply Nourish Grain Free food from PetsMart, and he has been on phenobarbital since I rescued him.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I suggest calling your vet. Phenobarbital can have some side effects. Also, it can negatively interact with some medications, including some antibiotics (which antibiotic did you use?)
Phenobarbital | Epilepsy Foundation
In humans, a patient who is on phenobarbital can have a blood level done as often as every few weeks in the beginning, to make sure there is enough to be effective and not too much which can have toxic effects.

It's good to look at health issues prior to trying to make behavioral changes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I suggest calling your vet. Phenobarbital can have some side effects. Also, it can negatively interact with some medications, including some antibiotics (which antibiotic did you use?)
Phenobarbital | Epilepsy Foundation
In humans, a patient who is on phenobarbital can have a blood level done as often as every few weeks in the beginning, to make sure there is enough to be effective and not too much which can have toxic effects.

It's good to look at health issues prior to trying to make behavioral changes.
He has had his blood levels checked regularly and has no issues with the pheno. I trust my vet giving my dog the meds he needed (which were minocylcine btw) without affecting the pheno blood lvls.

The more I read about it, the more I think the hot weather is affecting him. He has a hard time going outside now and will have "accidents" in the house instead. I can only get him active and motivated with human food...
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 6 of 6 Posts