Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 1 month ago, I adopted a 3 year old, female, Chinese Crested from a rescue. She came to me excessively overweight and with dry eye in her right eye. She was on Optimmune when I got her, and about 12 drops per day of Genteal to keep her eye moist (she had been on this regimen with her foster mom for about 8 months)...

I took her to the vet and the doc felt that the Optimmune was not working for her because the eye was not producing any tears, so he changed her prescription to Tacrolimus. She also had a pretty severe eye infection (tons and tons of goop), so he prescribed an antibiotic ointment (a very lengthy name, but like a triple opthamalic triple antibiotic...Neo Poly Bac).

The eye infection is gone (stopped the meds a few days ago)...the eye seems to be producing tears (we are completely off of the Genteal and continuing the Tacrolimus 2xs per day). But, now, we have a few spots of severe itching on her skin, but one spot is extreme - it runs down one side, from her armpit to the bottom of her rib cage. She is scratching so insanely that her skin now looks raw, all red, and painful. If I run my hand over her skin in that area, she twitches.

I bathed her today with Ketochlor (I use it on another pup who has allergies)... but she seeks to be scratching this one spot even more since her bath.... and, her scratching does not seem to be typical allergy scratching (my allergy pup tears up his feet and the base of his tail area).

My question is if anyone is aware of any side effects from her meds, or stopping her meds, that might be causing this excessive scratching and skin sensitivity? I looked up the side effects for both meds and did not see skin issues listed.

The poor little girl is quite uncomfortable... is there something topical that I can put on her? Or benedryl? I need to make an appointment for a follow-up visit to the vet for her eye, but usually it takes a few days to get an appointment with the doc. What can I do in the meantime?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Posting a picture of her skin where she is itching would help....I would NOT give her Benadryl unless you talk with the vet as it can dry up her mucous membranes and cause more severe eye problems....is she allergic to the dog food? Does she have demodex or sarcoptic mange???? Is her thyroid ok???
HOLLY ON DF REALLY NEEDS TO POST IF SHE CAN ON THIS ONE.... Is she allergic to the antibiotic....some people I know get hives from penicillin!!!!!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pkelley: Good point about the Benedryl. And, as for everything else, I do not know. I had asked the vet, a month ago, about doing a thyroid test (figuring the weight on her was so extreme, and I think I read somewhere that dry eye can be an effect caused by an auto-immune disease), but he did not think it was necessary at that time. I just got her vet papers from when she originally went into foster, and she was 8.37 pounds 8 months ago...she is a whopping 14.7 pounds now!!!

She has had a change in food when she came to me... She was on Natura dry dog food in foster, but now is on Blue Buffalo small bites mixed with a little bit of wet food (Pedigree) - (The Blue Buffalo has been great for my guy with allergies).

I guess the vet checks for mange/mites with a swab/microscope??? My other pups do not have any itching at this time (I have another crestie, and my allergy bichon).

Thanks... now I have something to really think about...and will definitely call the vet in the morning.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is looking a little better - I put a little neosporine on it a few hours ago, and put her clothes on to keep her from scratching directly on her skin... it is not nearly as inflamed as it was, but she is still trying to scratch....

and, btw, her nails are not sharp - they are quite dull....but are managing to break the skin here....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree that it could be a food allergy which pops up over prolonged exposure (vs instantly like I had thought would happen with food), or fleas or some other parasite. The dog could also be allergic to fleas or that parasite in addition to the itching that whatever insect would already cause. Also, seeing that the dog seems to be relatively hairless, perhaps it's having a reaction to something else in the house, such as it's bed or something. I wonder if putting somesort of clothing on the dog such as a t-shirt or something might help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have had unseasonably warm weather over the past 2 days, so she had been "naked" during the day when it is warm... She is hairless and does wear clothes when it is chilly, either cotton or synthetic fleece, pending how chilly it is....but she tends to run warm as she is well insulated (chubby).

The sensitive/itchy spot on her side looks a little better today, but she slept in her jammies last night and was unable to scratch directly on her skin ... maybe she did get a little bug bite yesterday, in the grass....it was so unseasonably warm over the past few days that maybe bugs were active in the yard.

I will see if she continues itching and scratching today....hopefully, this is just a fluke.

Thanks!

·
Registered
861 Posts
I don't know much about Cresteds, but I have heard that dry skin is a common problem. Are you lotioning her daily? maybe her skin got dry there and caused the itchiness.

Blue Buffalo is a good food, but dog food allergies are strange. She could be allergic to any number of protein sources in the Blue and Pedigree is crap and full of fillers, additives, common allergens. I'd not feed her any more of the canned Pedigree. With food allergies it usually takes some time for the allergy to appear and about 3 months or so after a food switch to see symptoms abate.

That said, about 20% of allergies are food related and 80% are environmental. could be a cleaner, a material, heck...anything that she comes into contact with that is annoying her skin. With the skin broken by the scratching the concern is skin infection developing. I'd take her in and have the vet check for mites and mange. If that's not it then I'd start looking at allergies unless she clears up on her own.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
The Blue buffalo is a good food but I would skip the pedigree it is probably the problem. I would also suggest using the Blue Basic line to keep it to one meat source. It is easier to see if there is a problem with the meat source on this food.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Hi,
So glad you posted her skin...I am not a vet and can only guess as to the ailments....if it is a bug bite/fleas I don't think you should be using an ointment on it as that can seal in the bacteria...I wish DF poster Holly could take a look at this problem...
I only know about the ointment dilemna from another poster who was told not to use it on his/her dog with a similar problem. I believe they were just supposed to keep it dry and clean..
You need to be careful about the scratches becoming a secondary infection...then she will need a systemic antibiotic. Our houla had mange...a lot of times when the vet does the skin scraping they can't find the mite anyway...just so you know if it is negative.

Autoimmune/thyroid is a possibilty, but wish Holly would respond if she sees this thread, she is the resident expert on DF for posters....

·
Registered
824 Posts
Looks like a staph / bacterial type infection. I'd get her to the vet. If that's what it is, you'll need antibiotics.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Is she on flea meds? If not, start them if it's warm. Even if you don't see fleas, a flea allergic dog just needs to be bitten once to have a flare-up.

I'm not convinced this is allergic (food anyway). I'd rule out parasites and such before doing more with the food.

I'd keep her clothes on her for now until the itching stops.

Are you using any new detergents? Did you buy a new rug or anything?

She can have an underlying endocrine issue-- it looks like she has some comedones (the little black things) on her skin...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts