Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so my 14 month old Kelpie x Border Collie started off quite hard to train as she was always too excited to focus. We managed to get through that and get some great training in, has a few tricks up her sleeve, recall was average - a work in progress but semi-reliable, walking on the lead was pretty good, I could safely have her off the lead in my front yard/on my property, Wherever I was. Chasing cars was never a problem, we have property with numerous cars running at once and she pretty much ignored them minus barking at any that were overly loosely. Now all of a sudden out of the blue it feels like it has all gone out the window!

To keep it short, all of a sudden she will NOT leave a dog park. She just continues to play without letting me catch her (normally she'd follow me to leave), her pulling in the lead is unbearable and where she used to stop at every gutter until I had checked the road was clear she is now barking and jumping about at any moving thing.I thought I was dreaming until last week she darted past me out an open gate and ran in to traffic. Thank god she wasn't hurt but her recall was absolutely non existent, the excitement of rounding up cars proved too much to resist. Needless to say I am taking every precaution to stop that from EVER happening again!

Since then I've been trying really hard to train her leash manners back to a high standard but it seems I cannot get it right, feels like she's back to being a 12 week old puppy! I've been mostly trying to stop and change directions as soon as she pulls (how I originally trained her) but she just goes straight back to pulling. I must have spent half an hour walking back and forth over the same 5 meter patch before I gave up! I had another go at the dog park yesterday but it took me 20 minutes to leave! I think I might be to the point now of having to pay a pro but I'm not so excited about splashing cash so I thought I'd just see if anybody on the forum has some tips I could try! It's worth noting she shows zero interest in treats when she's walking and I'm not the only one who walks her which I think makes it worse!

·
Registered
36 Posts
As your dog is still pretty young, could she be "testing" you ? It seams that my past three dogs went through a stage like this at around 1 year.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the links Larkspur. I'll have to keep doing what I'm doing from the looks of those videos, I might just need to go back to walking in the back yard first.

Interesting you mention the testing, that's exactly what it feels like. How did you navigate through it?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
A lot of dogs go through a regression period in training especially at about 1 year where they test you to see what they can get away with. It's important to stay extremely true to your training and sometimes go back to basics. It sounds like you may need to do this in this situation!

If it were me, I wouldn't let my dog off, even at the dog park until his recall was solid. The reason being is because I don't want him to know that off lead he has an option to ignore me. I would suggest finding an open field and using a long line to practice. Try adding something stimulating like a toy or maybe even a dog friend to play with a bit on long lead so there's some incentive to not come. Then when she doesn't, reel her back in and say "come" when she gets there with some high value treats.

Some great articles were also given so you could also ignore me all together and just read those :) good luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Really good to hear I'm not alone on this one! This is the first dog I've had that's had this kind of fall back.
I got a tracking lead yesterday so I'm going to try and combo a few things and see how it goes. Her recall at home is fine so I'm going to start taking her to the dog park when it's quiet with the lead and work on her recall and over a few weeks go when it's busier. Once her recall is a lot better I'll start using the "green light red light" lead training method with recall.
Thanks for the feedback again guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts