Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all! Seeking help/advice for my 4 y/o plott hound rescue, I've had her about 3months now. She used to sleep in the bed with me EVERY night (its just her an I in the bed!), she was such a cuddler! But then we had a really bad storm here about 2 weeks ago which terrified her and she hid in the closet most of the night. The following night she demonstrated the same "terrified" behavior, even though it wasn't storming. It continued each night, but lessened in "intensity", but A now, she won't sleep in the bed with me at all. I try to "invite" her up, and she'll lay with me for a bit, but tremble and shake the entire time. I try to hug her close and pet her to calm/soothe her, but eventually she retreats to t he couch and stays there. Any thoughts, advice, suggestions? Anyone ever experience a similar situation? I miss my cuddle buddy!!
Thank you!

Stacy Lynn

·
Super Moderator
437 Posts
Dogs make associations between things, sometimes for the wrong reasons. A friend has a dog who was sleeping under the coffee table, woke and banged her head on the underside of the table, but she ”blamed” the ceiling fan and growled at it every time she went into the room after that.

So your dog may associate your bed with the storm. And as my story suggests, she may blame your bed forever.

You could try rearranging your room so the bed is at the other side, bug failing that you might need to just get your cuddle fix on the sofa before bedtime - sorry!

·
Registered
201 Posts
If she is very scared and nervous you can try to give her adaptil or some other calming pheromones. While she’s on that you can try to teach her that the bed isn’t scary. Take her favorite treats and throw some closer and closer to the bed, then on the bed, do this in her pace until she gets comfortable on the bed again. In time she should get new positive associations with the bed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dogs make associations between things, sometimes for the wrong reasons. A friend has a dog who was sleeping under the coffee table, woke and banged her head on the underside of the table, but she ”blamed” the ceiling fan and growled at it every time she went into the room after that.

So your dog may associate your bed with the storm. And as my story suggests, she may blame your bed forever.

You could try rearranging your room so the bed is at the other side, bug failing that you might need to just get your cuddle fix on the sofa before bedtime - sorry!
That is pretty funny about the ceiling fan!! Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply!!! She actually got int he bed with me last night, did NOT shake or tremble, let me pet her as I read my book, and then I noticed as I was "dosing" off, she snuck off the bed back to her couch... baby steps I guess :)
Thanks again!

SLD

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If she is very scared and nervous you can try to give her adaptil or some other calming pheromones. While she’s on that you can try to teach her that the bed isn’t scary. Take her favorite treats and throw some closer and closer to the bed, then on the bed, do this in her pace until she gets comfortable on the bed again. In time she should get new positive associations with the bed.
Thanks so much for the advice! SOOO....She actually got in bed with me last night, and did NOT shake or tremble! I pet her as I read my book, and then, as she could sense me "dosing" off, she snuck off the bed back to her couch...but I consider it progress!! As you mentioned, will continue at her pace until she is comfortable again. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
She will probably slowly get over it, but, of course, if you have another storm some night, I think I would take her to a different room, and stay with her until its over.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts