Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We adopted a 9 year old german shepherd mutt a year ago who has, for the most part, settled nicely into our family. When we first got him he seemed afraid of being in the backyard alone and would only relieve himself while on a walk on the leash. Then, as he got comfortable in our home he began acting more "normal", asking to go out regularly but preferring to stay inside with us. However, within the last month he's started refusing to come back in, asking to go out multiple times a night, and generally trying to be outside as much as possible.
I worry a bit as it's really hot here during the summer (+100 degrees Fahrenheit every day this week) even though he has access to shade and water out there and it just doesn't seem normal for him. Maybe he is choosing to stay outside because inside has become our new baby's territory and that makes him nervous? Is he (and his bladder) just getting old? Would it be bad for me to let him remain in the yard all night so I can sleep? Might this be symptomatic of a serious medical condition?

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I would have his kidneys checked. My dog moved out side when her she was going into kidney failure. I dont want to scare you but when they do things out of caricature go see a vet just to make sure things are OK, especially with an older dog.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts