Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had our dog, Dixie, for a year and she's a great dog. We got her from a no kill shelter, she's approx 5 yrs old, she's housebroken, walks on a leash nicely and knows several tricks... Not aggressive and rarely barks. She's been the perfect dog until this past month. Three times this month, if we go out and leave her home, she goes into the bathroom trash cans and pulls out Kleenex etc and pulls them apart. She went in the utility room and got the extra toilet paper and tore up three rolls. She's never been destructive before. I'm wondering if she might need something in her diet? Vitamins?
We give her blue buffalo dry food mixed with a spoonful of wet blue buffalo food in her morning feed, no wet in evening feed. We also give her bits of apple and carrots as treats.
Any ideas?
Thanks!

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
It could be just boredom, nothing to do, so chewing toilet paper is such fun.

Give her a frozen kong stuffed with peanut butter to keep her busy while you are gone.

You could also just shut the bathroom door, so no more mischief there, remove the temptation, maybe that will help.

You will get lots more helpful tips, I'm sure.

Bless you for rescuing her.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Sounds like anxiety perhaps. Any changes in the household?

Certainly do not scold her for any if this behavior... She wont make the connection and will only get more insecure about her world
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I love to hear happy adoption stories! :)

Sounds like she is bored or anxious and has found a great new activity. I second managing the issue by shutting doors and giving her other activities to do while you are gone. How long is she alone?

Try checking out the Firecracker Dog website for some great puzzles and toys to keep her busy. I give a stuffed kong before I leave. You might want to also work her mind more in general in case she is bored. Training new tricks, or playing "find it" with treats, or getting her outside to sniff and check things out are all good.

I was given a bag of Blue Buffalo food with my dog, but his pooped stunk really bad, and he also smelled very "doggy". I switched to Nutrisource and his poop didn't smell much at all. After a couple of months he smells great, never doggy, even when wet. I'm going to switch to half raw soon, as I've heard so much good stuff about it. But I really don't think it is dietary, just him finding fun when you are not around.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys,
Shutting doors is something we'll do. But don't know that it's boredom. She's not much of a playful dog. She's not interested in toys, doesn't ply tug of war or chase balls. I tried the ball with treats inside, but she'll get a treat or two, then leave it alone. She does love walks and we walk twice a day :)
I'm retired so she only gets left alone occasionally - grocery store, a movie now and again, out to eat. When I go to the store I'll take her if it's cool, but can't leave her when it's hot, of course. She likes to ride in the car. :)
But she's never gotten into anything before, so wondered why the sudden change.

·
Registered
464 Posts
My mothers dog is similar, she got her as a 5 year old rescue. She won't play with anything except paper (probably never learnt how), is as quiet as a mouse, but just absolutely loves to rip up tissues. We often throw her balls of screwed up wrapping paper at birthdays and Christmas - perhaps you could find something like that to play with her.
I think it's possible mum's dog only likes paper because her teeth aren't too good (she's too old to do much about them), so maybe have her teeth checked?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I would agree that it sounds like boredom - perhaps she has taken a year to get fully comfortable in the new place, and now feels like bored time is time to eat tissue!! (My dog LOVES all things tissue. No idea why!).

If she is getting lots of exercise, maybe add some more social time? Off leash walks and dog parks do wonders. Beyond that - bones!! Even the dogs that aren't that playful often LOVE to chew, and that gives them something allowable to shew on and destroy! (Or, seeing as tissue is a thing, maybe a big rope to tear up?)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts