Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4 year old female staffy has become suddenly aggressive towards other dogs. It starts as playing and gets too rough very fast, chasing and bite/mouthing, never hard enough for blood. She is so fixed on getting the other dog, doesn’t hear “stop” “no “come”
This has happened twice in the past week, once at a dog beach with a small dog and then outside with the neighbouring dog, another staffy she usually loves.
She still wants to go back for a 2nd time when I finally have hold of her, sometimes almost laying on top of her to stop.
What has made her start this?
Any tips to stop it?
Thanks

·
Registered
435 Posts
But is she playing or fighting? Some dogs likes to play really rough however this is not always appreciated from all dogs and can lead to fighting/conflict. How is she being aggressive?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You’re right, she’s probably just started playing too rough but it looks very aggressive/over powering and pinning them down with mouth open around their necks, very frightening to myself and the other dog’s owners. I have pulled her away quickly and put straight back on a lead each time before anything actually happens.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Many times people mistake rough play with aggression and fighting. Dogs can growl, bite, show teeth etc when playing without it being anything other than just play. However if you’re going to let your dog play like this you better be good at reading the situation and the dogs signals, so you can make sure that it’s just play and nothing else.

There’s nothing wrong with letting your dog play rough but then it should be with a dog they know well and a dog who you know also enjoys it. It’s hard to know how rough your dog plays but since you and other owners are experiencing it as a potential danger and since you have trouble controlling her when she’s playing, I wouldn’t suggest that you keep letting her play with random dogs.

Focus on finding her one or a couple suitable playmates, so you can build a relationship between the dogs and make sure that both enjoy playing in the same way.

Many times especially staffies can be too much for most dogs, too intense and obtrusive. And many dogs can have trouble with reading their signals and body language correctly, which of course can cause conflict.

So, it’s not per say wrong to let your dog play rough. But you need to make sure that both dogs enjoy it and you need to be able to control the situation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts