Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Me and Pax recently moved to a house where I am renting a room. There is another dog who is about his age and they play almost all day long. When I first moved in, I was really discouraged because Pax was guarding his food/crate area so badly that Huck couldn't even go in my room without Pax attacking him. I tried moving the food around, not leaving it out, but he was being really bad about it so I couldn't leave my door open when they were both out. Today we had a breakthrough and Huck and Pax were both able to come in and drink from the water bowl (right next to the food bowl) one after the other with no problems. Huck even sniffed Pax's crate (which was also a source that Pax guarded) and Pax seemed really relaxed. I absolutely won't feed them together, but I think it's realistic for Pax to stop guarding areas, which seems to be proving true.

ALSO Pax passed his CGC test!! We're now practicing for the CGC Urban test :) I'm so proud!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm gonna have a PR behaviorist come out next week to talk with me and my roommate. I've had small victories, but definitely will benefit from professional help lol

Reactions: SnackRat

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi guys, so I'm having the behaviorist come next week and until then, she said I should just work on management and prevention until she can work with them. I'm wondering if I can muzzle the dogs to prevent biting or would that make things worse? They got in another fight yesterday, this time there were no toys around so I'm not sure what set it off. I'm working on getting them calm inside the house so things don't escalate, but when my roommate gets home, she riles them up and doesn't follow through and make them sit or down and relax. She let's them rough house until it turns into a fight. So back to the question: would muzzling for the week help prevent injuries, or make them more defensive?
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 6 of 6 Posts