Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A dog with a history of defensive and fearful aggression with one documented defensive bite. Brad Pattison (At the end of my leash / In the dog house) enters the household and the fearful dog responds by barking. Brad sees this as a challenge to his 'alpha position'. What kind of pathetic grown man sees a dog as a threat to his social status?

Pattison, like always, responds aggressively with menacing gestures, yelling and moving toward the dog. Once the dog is cornered at the end of a hallway the dog can no longer control himself. It urinates on floor.

Pattison then tells us that the dog is trying to "manipulate" the situation in order to get escape the "consequence"

Would you act aggressively toward a fearful dog to the point you elicit submissive urination? Is this an approach you would allow someone to take with your dog?

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
oh god no I wouldn't...in fact iam in contact weekly with a co workers dog that SU for him and his entire family (he is not harsh on the dog, but the dog has MAJOR confidence issues) he would do it to me as well...

I just aproached him differently and would walk away if he did it, he no longer does it to me, but continues with his family. Easy fix imo.

Pattison then tells us that the dog is trying to "manipulate" the situation in order to get escape the "consequence"
sort of true, sort of brad just being an ass...lol You could say that all social interactions are in a way "malipulation" to change an outcome...the dog is trying appeasment gestures to turn off the aversive..

so you could say he is trying to "manipulate" to get a desired "consequence"...BUT the way Brad means it Iam sure hes just using that as an excuse to be harsh with the dog.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
I know your not seriously asking that...that is a really bad way to approach it ;) And judging by your other posts I know you know that ;)

You could say that all social interactions are in a way "malipulation" to change an outcome...the dog is trying appeasment gestures to turn off the aversive..
I was going to say the exact same thing-everything we do-if you want to can be put in a framework that calls it manipulation. I show up to work to get my boss to cut me a paycheque....you could call that manipulation but most people would call it a job ;)

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
I don't care if it was the pope that did it to my dog, if ANYONE did that to my darlings or really even any dog in front of me I would go ballistic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.