Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says. What are some stupid things you've heard about dogs? Post it!

For me:

Grandfather: "I think KONGs are cruel"
Then we have an argument about it. Then I walk away because he starts laughing. He tends to start laughing uncontrollably when he gets into an argument. *cough* I usually take it that he can't think of anything else to say and I have won the argument ;)

"smack him" said by mother for the stupidest reasons.

"The problem with pitbulls is they have lock jaw/ have it ingrained in their brain to kill/ they won't be so cute once they taste blood"
LOL yeah and the problem with you is that you are uneducated and haven't got anything to prove your point.

"You wouldn't know" (about dogs)Said by grandfather. Ok so not so much to do with the topic but it always annoys me. He's always running his mouth with his dog "knowlegde" that he got from who know where. Then I'll correct him and he'll say I wouldn't know. He thinks him being older = smart. Me being only a teen = dumb. Uhh hello, who's the dog lover who is slightly obsessed with dogs, and spends most of her free time focusing on dogs?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Friends: "Why do you put the dog in a crate, it is like putting her in jail, would you like that?"

Some people do not understand the concept of a crate and the use and how much dogs like it sometimes and enjoy having a place of their own. So since sometimes people are stubborn and don't seem to get what I tell them I just ignore them.

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
When I ask a new client how much exercise and mental stimulation their dog gets:
"Oh, he runs around in the yard all day!"
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
From strangers for my Rottie Carl: "Oh is this the breed that jumps in the people's heads right?" Of course I answered yes...I didn't know what to say :rofl:

From a "trainer" (he introduced himself as a PR trainer): "Wonderful dog but isn't he a little small? He is a beautiful pittbull anyway" --- I suppose he was a great trainer! :rofl: :lol:

From a woman: "Be careful with that dog! You should not let him sleep with you cause he will eat you while youre sleeping" I think she thought Carl was a Vampire?!?

·
Super Moderator
11,876 Posts
A few years ago I was asked if I would like to breed Pearl (my white Pekingese) since they had an available male.
I said something like "No thanks, I don't want puppies. Besides she is spayed."
Then I was told "OK, but let me know if you change your mind!"
:eek:

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
From strangers for my Rottie Carl: "Oh is this the breed that jumps in the people's heads right?" Of course I answered yes...I didn't know what to say :rofl:

From a "trainer" (he introduced himself as a PR trainer): "Wonderful dog but isn't he a little small? He is a beautiful pittbull anyway" --- I suppose he was a great trainer! :rofl: :lol:

From a woman: "Be careful with that dog! You should not let him sleep with you cause he will eat you while youre sleeping" I think she thought Carl was a Vampire?!?
:rofl::lolsign::rofl:

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I have been asked to breed Glacier the WHITE Pit.

Here is a good one, from my sister with 2 mainly outdoor dogs with no manners: "well when they jump I spray them with water and they stop" me: "but if this actually curbed the behavior they wouldn't jump anymore" sister: "I don't care it works for the time being". How unfortunate

Another comment I hear often that IMO is just dumb to say to an obvious animal lover "you'll never receive love from those things like you will a child" *shrug* IMO their love for me is enough (btw I do not want children at least not anytime soon, so that's why this comment annoys me, stop trying to change my mind)

Oh also "no we can't have a dog" then they turn around a week later and purchase from a BYB (this happened when we saved Chunk and tried to find him a home, he was a 6 week old puppy and we still got turned down by family and friends)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
11,148 Posts
Very nice minature foxhound you have there. When did they start importing them from England. I just looked at Cleo and laughed. I think the lady was insulted by my response.

·
Registered
51 Posts
"You should do ________ with your dog. That's what Cesar says." (Sorry. I know it's a touchy subject, but I really do hear that a lot, especially about poking dogs in the side while making that annoying noise.)

"Your dog must be a Pit Bull because she's brindle."
(I name several other breeds that can also be brindle.)
"Yeah, but Pit Bulls are brindle. Your dog is definitely a Pit Bull."

I don't care if she's a Pit mix or not, but it frustrates me that brindle automatically equals Pit to so many people.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Very nice minature foxhound you have there. When did they start importing them from England. I just looked at Cleo and laughed. I think the lady was insulted by my response.

So Funny!

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
"I know what Iam talking about, i've had dogs my whole life!"

hmmm, I've been around electricity and cars my whole life. Last time I checked I am not an electrician or a mechanic.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Let me see... When house training your puppy, if they start to poo and pee, pick them up, rub their noses in it and slap their bum and put them outside. This will teach them to not do that in the house.

I'm sure many of us have heard this. When your puppy does something you don't like, force your puppy down on their back and get in their face! This teaches them that you are the dominant one.

Those are the ones I could remember hearing and unfortunatly had followed with a couple of my dogs growing up. If only I knew what I know now. (Sorry my boys. Rest in peace.) Even with Kryesor I did this when we were both younger. Sorry my boy. At least I am wiser now.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
LOL. When I was looking for a rescue to rehome Cannon through, one of the rescue reps: "You just need to dominate your dog; that's the problem." (after I'd told her about his fear aggression and reactive behavior). o_O

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
LOL. When I was looking for a rescue to rehome Cannon through, one of the rescue reps: "You just need to dominate your dog; that's the problem." (after I'd told her about his fear aggression and reactive behavior). o_O

hey, now, I bet they've "been around dogs their whole lives" so they are experts on that sort of thing:rolleyes:

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
hey, now, I bet they've "been around dogs their whole lives" so they are experts on that sort of thing:rolleyes:
That was actually the PetSmart trainer's background as well (along with the few months of PetSmart training). If you remember that thread early on in my training :D, she jerked Cannon's leash and yelled at him while he was trying to attack an unaltered male dog in the class. It was one of the stupidest things I've seen, and I stopped her after she kept doing it with no results. I was livid.

·
Registered
11,148 Posts
"Is that your dog?"...No, I just stole her from the coonhound center, and she has the collar, tags, and leash already attached.

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
Oh my god.
Today: "Wow, your maltese has really long legs!"
"He's a Chinese Crested."
"No, no, maltese is a breed."
"Chinese Crested is a breed."
"Well, I've never heard of it."

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Wow, that is dumb. Aero doesn't look like a maltese at all, even if they didn't know what chinese crested was, he's obviously not maltese...

1 - 20 of 285 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.