Dog Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
385 Posts
Just lock him up in a medieval dungeon pit and let him be forgotten by all. Since this was all done for attention, let's deny him that.

Reactions: LMMB and Mad Murphy

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
If I knew who this person was and he lived in my community I would report him to the local animal cruelty center, along with the video. This is far worse than stupid.....it is sadistic.
I hate people who are cruel to animals more than I dislike or hate anything else in the world.

·
Banned
385 Posts
According to the article, the animal welfare group has collected several of his videos as evidence against him in the animal cruelty charge. Fortunately, his days are numbered.

·
Registered
10,887 Posts
I don't know what I think of this. I'm not sure I'd call this animal cruelty but maybe I'm not getting the whole story. It's odd though and risky. That dog could have been injured.

·
Registered
10,887 Posts
True. I'd consider this endangering your dog. It's interesting that endangering a child can be considered a crime or offense but no such laws exist here for dogs and other pets as far as I know. I can't imagine risking my dog's life for social media followers. O.O I can see that man being upset if his dog was killed.

·
Registered
805 Posts
True. I'd consider this endangering your dog. It's interesting that endangering a child can be considered a crime or offense but no such laws exist here for dogs and other pets as far as I know. I can't imagine risking my dog's life for social media followers. O.O I can see that man being upset if his dog was killed.
In Nevada, animal cruelty and/or endangerment is a crime. Depending on the circumstances, it could involve jailtime

"
1.3. Penalties
The punishment for unjustifiably maiming, mutilating, or killing any cat or any dog or any animal kept for companionship or pleasure (whether belonging to the defendant or not) depends on the defendant’s state of mind:

• If the act is committed in order to threaten, intimidate, or terrorize another person, it is a category C felony in Nevada carrying one to five (1 – 5) years in prison and up to $10,000 in fines.
  • If the act is committed willfully and maliciously, it is a category D felony carrying one to four (1 – 4) years in prison and up to $5,000 in fines.
Otherwise, the punishment for a first-time offense is a misdemeanor, and the penalties get harsher with each successive offense within a seven (7)-year period. And depending on the circumstances the defendant may be ordered to surrender ownership or possession of the allegedly mistreated animal:

A first offense of animal cruelty within the preceding seven (7) years is prosecuted as a misdemeanor in Nevada carrying:

• two (2) days to six (6) months in Clark County Detention Center (or another county jail), and
  • 48 to 120 hours of community service, and
  • $200 to $1,000 in fines, and
  • restitution for all costs associated with the care and impoundment of any mistreated animal including money expended for veterinary treatment, feed, and housing
Note that any jail time may be served intermittently at the discretion of the judge. However, each period of confinement must be no less than four (4) consecutive hours and must occur either at a time when the defendant is not required to be at the place of employment or on a weekend.

A second offense of animal cruelty within a seven (7)-year period is also a misdemeanor in Nevada. The sentence is increased to:

• Ten (10) days to six (6) months in Clark County Detention Center (or another county jail), and
  • 100 hours to 200 hours of community service, and
  • $500 to $1,000 in fines, and
  • restitution for all expenses for the care and impoundment of the mistreated animal such veterinary services, food, and shelter
Finally, a third or subsequent offense of animal cruelty within a seven (7) year span is prosecuted as a category C felony in Nevada. The punishment includes:

• one to five (1 – 5) years in prison, and
  • maybe up to $10,000 in fines, and
  • restitution for the expense of treating, feeding, and housing the mistreated animal
When determining the punishment, the judge takes into account several factors including the condition of the animal. Predictably the sentence will probably be more severe if the animal died or sustained an injury.

In Las Vegas, people convicted of mistreating animals may be prohibited from having pets for up to four years. And if the pet died, it is up to five years."

·
Banned
385 Posts
I don't know what I think of this. I'm not sure I'd call this animal cruelty but maybe I'm not getting the whole story. It's odd though and risky. That dog could have been injured.
Endangerment is animal cruelty. If this was his only incident, I would tend to think he was just mis misguided. But apparently he has multiple videos of him harming and/or endangering various animals.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Endangering the dog, a creature who is powerless to resist and cannot give permission to take the risk, IS animal cruelty. And in this case, the dog could just have been injured, but could have died a horrible death.
That person should never be allowed to have a dog or any other animal again.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
In Nevada, animal cruelty and/or endangerment is a crime. Depending on the circumstances, it could involve jailtime

"
1.3. Penalties
The punishment for unjustifiably maiming, mutilating, or killing any cat or any dog or any animal kept for companionship or pleasure (whether belonging to the defendant or not) depends on the defendant’s state of mind:

• If the act is committed in order to threaten, intimidate, or terrorize another person, it is a category C felony in Nevada carrying one to five (1 – 5) years in prison and up to $10,000 in fines.
  • If the act is committed willfully and maliciously, it is a category D felony carrying one to four (1 – 4) years in prison and up to $5,000 in fines.
Otherwise, the punishment for a first-time offense is a misdemeanor, and the penalties get harsher with each successive offense within a seven (7)-year period. And depending on the circumstances the defendant may be ordered to surrender ownership or possession of the allegedly mistreated animal:

A first offense of animal cruelty within the preceding seven (7) years is prosecuted as a misdemeanor in Nevada carrying:

• two (2) days to six (6) months in Clark County Detention Center (or another county jail), and
  • 48 to 120 hours of community service, and
  • $200 to $1,000 in fines, and
  • restitution for all costs associated with the care and impoundment of any mistreated animal including money expended for veterinary treatment, feed, and housing
Note that any jail time may be served intermittently at the discretion of the judge. However, each period of confinement must be no less than four (4) consecutive hours and must occur either at a time when the defendant is not required to be at the place of employment or on a weekend.

A second offense of animal cruelty within a seven (7)-year period is also a misdemeanor in Nevada. The sentence is increased to:

• Ten (10) days to six (6) months in Clark County Detention Center (or another county jail), and
  • 100 hours to 200 hours of community service, and
  • $500 to $1,000 in fines, and
  • restitution for all expenses for the care and impoundment of the mistreated animal such veterinary services, food, and shelter
Finally, a third or subsequent offense of animal cruelty within a seven (7) year span is prosecuted as a category C felony in Nevada. The punishment includes:

• one to five (1 – 5) years in prison, and
  • maybe up to $10,0This is a 00 in fines, and
  • restitution for the expense of treating, feeding, and housing the mistreated animal
When determining the punishment, the judge takes into account several factors including the condition of the animal. Predictably the sentence will probably be more severe if the animal died or sustained an injury.

In Las Vegas, people convicted of mistreating animals may be prohibited from having pets for up to four years. And if the pet died, it is up to five years."
This is all very good.

But, the thing is, the laws are only as good as the enforcement. Most places ( don't know about Nevada) are not so good an enforcing the laws about animal cruelty until it gets to a nightmare point like hoarding, puppy mills, and extreme cruelty that is documented. Even then it can be a whole process to get the authorities involved, and in the meantime the anima(s) suffer.

In many places, including here, things that are definitely animal abuse are not necessarily prosecuted. I have called to report people many times in my life, and most of the time either nothing happened, or an animal control officer came to talk to the person, whereupon the person denied everything, and nothing more was done.

And many times a person is reluctant even to call because they are afraid of the neighbor who is abusing the animal. More than once I have strongly asked that my report be on the books as anonymous, although I have given them my name, for fear of reprisal from the people involved.

And, of course, being prohibited from owning a pet doesn't mean the person won't just go get another pet anyway. Especially if they move to another place.
It's a pretty slippery thing to enforce. But the main problem is that animals are not afforded the respect and concern and importance that human beings are, and until they are given a better standing in people's eyes and in the law, they will continue to suffer at the hands of sick, horrible and cruel people.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts