Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an experienced dog owner and have always had trained, well behaved dogs. Some even were Obstacle Course participants. I just got a new baby, a tiny 5 month old Maltese female. She is giving me the run around when it comes to house training. I know these dogs are reportedly hard if not impossible to train, but I can't stand the idea of living in a house covered in dog pee! Help. I need to have her wee wee pad trained (what a silly name, sorry) because I live in a climate that spends a large part of the year miserable outside. I have tried, restricting her to certain rooms. I put her on the pad every time she awakens and about every hour and she will sit on the pad, and then leave and promptly go. She does use the pad, some days, and I have even had full days where she has not had an accident. Some of the issue is I can't see when she is getting into position to go, as she has long hair that covers her and you can't tell if she is squatting, going potty or just standing. i am going to try leashing to me today, but I have a feeling she will just wait until I am not watching and stand there and pee and I won't know she has done it until she moves and I see the spot. I have been looking right at her and not known she was going potty until she walks away from the spot. ARGHHHH! I adore this baby, but I woke up this morning to putting my arm in a pee spot on my comforter. I have always used crates for my smaller dogs, but I have never had to use them for more than a day or two to housetrain. Can anyone explain how this works? Do I place her in the crate all day and take her out once an hour to potty and play and then put her back? Is the idea that she is to stay in the crate all the time unless she is out to pee and have supervised play? I feel like a newbie with this dog. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I know these dogs are reportedly hard if not impossible to train
This is actually far from the truth :) I have two chihuahuas that I thought would be difficult to train and with some help and advice they are trained

I need to have her wee wee pad trained (what a silly name, sorry) because I live in a climate that spends a large part of the year miserable outside. I have tried, restricting her to certain rooms. I put her on the pad every time she awakens and about every hour and she will sit on the pad, and then leave and promptly go. She does use the pad, some days, and I have even had full days where she has not had an accident. Some of the issue is I can't see when she is getting into position to go, as she has long hair that covers her and you can't tell if she is squatting, going potty or just standing
Place a lot of puppy pads down in an area and one she stops having accidents remove one or two at a time, slowly decreasing the amount. I would up the time to every 30 mins putting her on the pad. A couple questions:

1. when she does use the pad are you praising her?
2. when she has an accident what are you doing?

Can anyone explain how this works? Do I place her in the crate all day and take her out once an hour to potty and play and then put her back? Is the idea that she is to stay in the crate all the time unless she is out to pee and have supervised play?
What I would personally do is slowly introduce her to the crate, there are some great threads on crate training in the puppy section. Feeding her in the crate will help. As for how long she should be in the crate thats up to you. I think if you just put her in the crate when you cannot supervise her 100% thats good. Otherwise you can feed her/give her water in her crate, give her 5-10 mins, remove her and put her in the area with lots of puppy pads, if she wanders off completely from all the pads put her back on the pads, if she continues to leave the pads put her back in the crate and give her a toy or treat. Then try again 10 mins later. You must be able to watch for any signs of her going potty, sniffing, a certain stance, etc when shes not in the crate. If you arent sure if she is going pick her up, if she is put her on the pad.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I am an experienced dog owner and have always had trained, well behaved dogs. Some even were Obstacle Course participants. I just got a new baby, a tiny 5 month old Maltese female. She is giving me the run around when it comes to house training. I know these dogs are reportedly hard if not impossible to train, but I can't stand the idea of living in a house covered in dog pee! Help. I need to have her wee wee pad trained (what a silly name, sorry) because I live in a climate that spends a large part of the year miserable outside. I have tried, restricting her to certain rooms. I put her on the pad every time she awakens and about every hour and she will sit on the pad, and then leave and promptly go. She does use the pad, some days, and I have even had full days where she has not had an accident. Some of the issue is I can't see when she is getting into position to go, as she has long hair that covers her and you can't tell if she is squatting, going potty or just standing. i am going to try leashing to me today, but I have a feeling she will just wait until I am not watching and stand there and pee and I won't know she has done it until she moves and I see the spot. I have been looking right at her and not known she was going potty until she walks away from the spot. ARGHHHH! I adore this baby, but I woke up this morning to putting my arm in a pee spot on my comforter. I have always used crates for my smaller dogs, but I have never had to use them for more than a day or two to housetrain. Can anyone explain how this works? Do I place her in the crate all day and take her out once an hour to potty and play and then put her back? Is the idea that she is to stay in the crate all the time unless she is out to pee and have supervised play? I feel like a newbie with this dog. Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Watch her training methods work. You will be surprised by how quickly they work.
This is her web site if you want more info
Karen Pryor Clickertraining

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Place a lot of puppy pads down in an area and one she stops having accidents remove one or two at a time, slowly decreasing the amount. I would up the time to every 30 mins putting her on the pad. A couple questions:

1. when she does use the pad are you praising her?
2. when she has an accident what are you doing?

What I would personally do is slowly introduce her to the crate, there are some great threads on crate training in the puppy section. Feeding her in the crate will help. As for how long she should be in the crate thats up to you. I think if you just put her in the crate when you cannot supervise her 100% thats good. Otherwise you can feed her/give her water in her crate, give her 5-10 mins, remove her and put her in the area with lots of puppy pads, if she wanders off completely from all the pads put her back on the pads, if she continues to leave the pads put her back in the crate and give her a toy or treat. Then try again 10 mins later. You must be able to watch for any signs of her going potty, sniffing, a certain stance, etc when shes not in the crate. If you arent sure if she is going pick her up, if she is put her on the pad.
B-I-N-G-O, B-I-N-G-O, B-I-N-G-O and pawzaddict was her name-o!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much, I will try your suggestions. Usually she pees when I am not looking but as I mentioned I can't always tell she is peeing until she moves, she doesn't seem to squat to pee and she walks as she eliminates, my other Maltese did the same thing. I work from home so I tried leashing her to me yesterday and I was looking at her talking to her, she moved and I noticed she had been peeing while I watched her! The only way it seems I can keep her from peeing in the wrong places on the days she's in a mind to not use the pads is by keeping her on my lap or arms. Last night I held her for 4 hours, and then tried putting her down in a room of pads and she walked around for 45 mins with no action and then left the room and peed in the doorway. I am obviously way over my head here, but I refuse to have a dog who isn't house trained. I feel so frustrated, I am an experienced dog owner ( I have raised and trained over 15 dogs of all breeds in the last 25 years.)

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
B-I-N-G-O, B-I-N-G-O, B-I-N-G-O and pawzaddict was her name-o!
:rofl::rockon: Thanks :eek:

Last night I held her for 4 hours, and then tried putting her down in a room of pads and she walked around for 45 mins with no action and then left the room and peed in the doorway.
I would definitely work on using a crate or even an x-pen, or seclude her to a bathroom with puppy pads all over the floor and when you put her down and she moves off, put her back on, or put her back in her secluded area/crate/xpen.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This is a great thread with lots of great suggestions. I too have a maltese. She is turning 11 this january and back when she was young, I had the same issues. Potty training was difficult as this breed is not food oriented. What is good though is that I found my maltese loves to make me happy. That is the treat for her -- being with her master. So with patience, I was able to potty train her.

Just be patient with your maltese :) She'll soon understand :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts