Dog Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
One of my shelter rescues was a lot like this. it took him almost 6 months to get even remotely over it, and it was an uphill battle, but eventually he did calm down. It took a lot of baby steps and positive reinforcement. What we would do is take him to the edge of his comfort zone, love on him and give him some treats, and then go right back well into familiar, comfy territory (sometimes that meant home). Sometimes a thing would scare him and it seemed to be back to square one for a while.

It also helps if you try to relax and just enjoy the walk, and not be on edge. if he feels that you're on the lookout for anything that might scare him, it enforces in his mind that the Thing is scary and warrants such an over the top reaction. In my experience this is the hardest thing to do, but what worked for me was just playing with him a bit, stopping every once in a while to chill somewhere, etc. He really improved after i took a blanket to a park and stayed in an area for a while, he was scared at first because there were children and people and other dogs around, but i lay down on the blanket with some food and eventually he went to sleep with his tongue sticking out... lol
You might have to look around a while for a method that works for both you and your dog, but it will get better. You just need to take baby steps and try not to get too discouraged if it seems like one step forward two steps back some days.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.