Dog Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
We have a border collie/lab mix and I can tell you that he can be a handful, but I honestly wouldn't have it any other way. We had a few issues the first 2 weeks we had ours, but after training classes and just sticking to the rules, things worked themselves out. We I take him running in the morning, a long walk at night, hiking and outdoorsy stuff on weekends. Plus we have him run in the backyard during the day. I work from home, so I'm with him almost all the time.

They are really smart dogs, and learn pretty quickly, but you have to stay on your toes because they can get into trouble if you're not paying attention. Ours likes to chew on things if he's not exercised for the day.

Things that help us: puzzle toys, feeding meals through a food puzzle ball, clicker training, bully sticks, lots of chew toys, etc. The key with him seems to be keeping him busy and distractions. Ours was clingy when we first adopted him too, he wanted to be with me all the time, but after a couple months of training, he was fine. And the timidness was there a little bit too, but he's not at all scared of anything anymore. We try to take him to new places as much as we can.

I personally love boradors now that I have one. Ours is smart, friendly, goofy, loving (first dog that I've had that actually likes to cuddle), and really good with people, kids, etc. Look up some of the breed info on boradors specifically, there's a lot of info out there.

It's a big decision that you'll have to make if it's a good fit for you, but if it isn't, I wouldn't feel bad about returning the dog. It's always better in the long run for you and the dog.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.