Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had Bella since she was 9 weeks old that was 1 month ago so she is around 13 weeks old now She knows she is supposed to potty outside because she will often whine at the door to go out. She goes 10 hours at night without an accident and some days she has No accidents and goes outside maybe 3-5 times a day other days she decides not to let us know when she has to go potty and decides to potty inside every hour or sooner. I don't understand why some days she does so good and holds it for 3-4 hours at a time and other days she cant even make it a full hour. She also has decided not to even whine to go poop just does it inside some days we take her outside she pees and poops and within 5 minutes of being back inside the house she has an accident. I have been using the crate when we leave the house or cannot watch her. I am becoming frustrated with the house training. How we can have great days and then bad its hard to know how often she needs to go out because every day is different. I praise her every time she goes outside and like I said she learned to whine to go out she does alot but some times she doesnt that or she whines the moment she get ready to pee like She whines and pees within seconds before I even have time to get her on the leash

·
Registered
5,929 Posts

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Honestly, a 13 week old puppy is only beginning to get reasonable control over bodily functions. It may be that she doesn't know she has to go until right when it's about to happen.

The best thing to do is to be consistent. Even if it seems like she can wait 4 hours to go, she really shouldn't be expected to. Take her out hourly, if you can. I'd use a sliding scale for time between going out, in fact. Take her out once, if she goes you can take her out again in an hour. If not, try again in 30 minutes (watching her like a hawk the entire time). If she goes, you can wait an hour again. If she doesn't, try again in 15 minutes. Etc.

In the case where she goes and then goes again indoors, she probably still had stuff in her and wasn't aware or didn't get it all out. Don't take her right in after she goes to the bathroom, stay outside and play a little. My rule for Chisum is that we go out, we deal with bathroom stuff first, then he's allowed to go play with the cats for a bit as a reward, after which we will take another "just in case" trip around the yard. I will admit, he gets more cat playtime if he told me he had to go and he actually had to go as compared to the times he whines to go out, squeezes out a few drops, and then wants to play. He still gets his reward though - my motto with him is "appreciate the try" , haha.

As she gets older and gains more control, you can increase the times between bathroom breaks.

I'd also still be taking her out once in the night, at least. You want to anticipate her having to go, instead of having her cry to ask or have an accident altogether.

I know housetraining is frustrating, but a lot of having a puppy is frustrating. Even more so with an adolescent, a little less so with an adult. Take a deep breath, figure out what you need to do to accomplish your goals, and approach that with as much flexibility as possible :)

·
Registered
906 Posts
I have had Bella since she was 9 weeks old that was 1 month ago so she is around 13 weeks old now She knows she is supposed to potty outside because she will often whine at the door to go out.
She is obviously making her very best effort to do what you want. That's a good dog, imo. :)

She goes 10 hours at night without an accident
Me too. But during the day, I'd be pretty embarrassed (and smelly) if I tried to hold it for 10 hours. Same for dogs; how long they can hold it overnight is no predictor of what's going to happen during the day.

and some days she has No accidents and goes outside maybe 3-5 times a day other days she decides not to let us know when she has to go potty and decides to potty inside every hour or sooner.
A general rule of thumb is that a dog can go it's age in months, plus an hour. So Bella, at 13 weeks, can be expected to hold it for about 4 hours - in best case scenario. Bella isn't 'deciding' not to let you know, or that she's going to potty in the house - she's letting you know she has to go *when she can* and having accidents in the house *when she can't*.

I don't understand why some days she does so good and holds it for 3-4 hours at a time and other days she cant even make it a full hour.
Because she's still a baby. Her 'notification' system isn't fully online yet, and sometimes it just fails her. I went through the same thing when I was potty training my kids - some days, they were brilliant, other days - not so much. That's why kids wear diapers during potty training, because despite best efforts, it takes a while for the whole thing to become reliable. I think the average age for a dog to be reliably house-trained is six months, but all dogs are different and some may be successful sooner, and some later.

She also has decided not to even whine to go poop just does it inside some days
She's a baby dog - she's not deciding anything - I really can't stress that enough. :) She's doing the best she can -- but sometimes it obviously catches her by surprise, so what can she do?
@PoppyKenna has given some excellent advice.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's hard to keep her outside after she potties because she hates it outside after she Potties she pulls and pulls to the point she is choking and out of breath trying to get inside when off leash she will sit in front porch scratching at the door even if I'm outside with her. She has always been like this

·
Registered
906 Posts
It's hard to keep her outside after she potties because she hates it outside after she Potties she pulls and pulls to the point she is choking and out of breath trying to get inside when off leash she will sit in front porch scratching at the door even if I'm outside with her. She has always been like this
Does she like to go for walks, outside?

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No anytime I try to walk her it involves her beings dragged she always wants to be back inside I can go to a neighbors house and standing outside talking to her she is pulling the entire time choking herself trying to get home she wants to be inside all the time she hates it outside

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
What have you done to try and make outside fun? She may be afraid and you need to do extra to show her that she's safe outside and it can be a great place.

You may just need to start on the porch; hide treats around for her to find. Then move beyond and out into the yard. If she has a favorite toy, bring it out to play.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm new here but also trying to train a 14 week old puppy. For his age he's doing great but after 6 weeks, he has never given me any indication he needs to go outside (no turning in circles, whining, going to the door, scratching at the door or ringing his bell.) I'm doing crate training and bell training and do still take outside once during the night. He doesn't mind his crate at all, but when not in his crate, I watch him like a hawk (literally). Hoping one day it will just "click" for both of us. He does understand "pee pee" and "poopie" are related to a treat bc immediately after, turns to me for his treat. How smart is that? Confirms to me he is relating to habit behavior.

·
Registered
10 Posts
A general rule of thumb is that a dog can go it's age in months, plus an hour. So Bella, at 13 weeks, can be expected to hold it for about 4 hours - in best case scenario.
As I understand it, "best case scenario" means that the puppy isn't doing anything to stimulate it's bladder. Meaning, it's not moving around, it's not walking around, it's not drinking water, it's not playing... that is, it's in a crate. It's not moving around the house everywhere, which is what I think the OP's dog is basically doing. The OP's dog's bladder and bowel's are CONSTANTLY stimulated, so it's no wonder she's having accidents in the house all the time. She's not learning to control it. No 13 week puppy is going to go 4 hours free in a house walking around and playing and not pee and/or poop somewhere.

She needs to be confined somehow to learn to control it, either in a pen or a crate, or be taken out the very second it looks like she might be ready to go (nose to the ground sniffing).

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If i took her out everytime her nose was on the ground she would be outside 24/7 She sniffs everywhere she goes. She is making progress 1 accident in about 5 days and that was because when I woke up I had to find the leash and she peed before i could get the leash on her

1 - 12 of 12 Posts