Dog Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, new to this site and desperate for some advice. Not sure if we are on the right track. We have a five year old Westie boy, Angus. He is pretty much the apple of our eye and we have spoiled him rotten since we got him when he was 11 weeks old. I have always believed that he is happy as an only dog child and he is friendly with other dogs but prefers to interact in small doses and would then go off and do his own thing.

He sleeps in our bed and both my husband and I enjoy close bonds with him. He has since his pup years displayed guarding behaviors with his food and certain toys.

But this beautiful Husky cross rescue pup at our local shelter stole our hearts. She is about two years old and we knew we needed to adopt her. Took Angus for a meet and greet and he and Lilly sniffed each other’s backsides, tails wagged and they seemed fine around each other. So we proceeded with the adoption process and brought Lilly home yesterday.

We took them both for a walk before we brought Lilly to her new home and they seemed quite comfortable around each other. They actually seemed to enjoy hunting and exploring together, played too adorably and would cry for each other when we separated them at times. However two issues emerged and I am unsure if we are dealing with it the right way:

1) Lilly immediately bonded with me and my husband. If she hears or sees us talking to or giving Angus affection, se rushes in, forces herself between us and might even nip at Angus. We reprimand her, but Angus submits and backs away. Breaks my heart! However when my husband and I step away, the two mostly seem to get on peacefully.

2) Lilly seems to have slightly higher energy levels than Angus as she wants to play a lot more than he does. She is also so much bigger than him, so would play him into a corner and then he seems to get anxious. So when he’s had enough, he growls at her pretty ferociously. She has backed away once or twice and I try to let the two of them sort it out themselves, but things have gotten physical once or twice from both sides and it terrified me. This morning she sat on him and bit him on the face but he seems fine. We had to pull them apart though and separate them. She cries for him through the face and he will sniff her and wag his tail but we are not opening the gate that separates them for now. I know people say you should leave them to sort out their own politics, but I am so worried because of the size difference. We are trying to get them used to each other slowly though, so my husband is sleeping in the lounge with her and I’m in bed with Angus.

Have any of you experienced this before? Is it normal or warning signs that these two dogs might not be compatible? And if you’ve had this before, how long did it take to work out? Thanks and apologies for the essay...

· Registered
291 Posts
I’d really suggest a dog behaviourist or trainer with gods references, but in the meantime it seems like Angus needs some time apart to chill and have a rest from the playing. I’d probably keep walking them together but have separate spaces within the home where Angus in particular can retreat. We had a similar situation once and they did sort it out over time but in the early days we didn’t leave them together unsupervised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
47 Posts
I'd truly propose a canine behaviorist or mentor with divine beings references, however meanwhile it appears Angus needs some time separated to chill and have a rest from the playing. I'd likely continue strolling them together yet include separate spaces inside the home where Angus specifically can withdraw. We had a comparative circumstance once and they sorted it out after some time yet in the good 'ol days we didn't leave them together solo.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.