Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She was doing ok at 5 months at my old house, then we moved and it fukked up her whole routine. To compound things, my fiancee slapped her a couple times when she pooped in the house and so now, I can't even give her treats and praise when she poops outside because she's so anxious and runs away from me everytime. I still try to praise her and I try hard to get her to take the treat. She seems to be good now only peeing outside because she takes the treat and we haven't had any peeing accidents recently.

Is there anything I can do? I can't keep her inside the cage when I'm not with her 24-7. She pooped a lot today in morning when I wasn't looking after she pooped outside an hour earlier.

·
Registered
685 Posts
She was doing ok at 5 months at my old house, then we moved and it fukked up her whole routine. To compound things, my fiancee slapped her a couple times when she pooped in the house and so now, I can't even give her treats and praise when she poops outside because she's so anxious and runs away from me everytime. I still try to praise her and I try hard to get her to take the treat. She seems to be good now only peeing outside because she takes the treat and we haven't had any peeing accidents recently.

Is there anything I can do? I can't keep her inside the cage when I'm not with her 24-7. She pooped a lot today in morning when I wasn't looking after she pooped outside an hour earlier.
Yeah, ye done "f'*d" up.

Your question is what you can do. In these situations you need to "take one step back to go two steps forward".

In other words, start over. Take her out on a schedule the way you would if she were 8 weeks old and work through the steps again. Reward generously for the behaviour you want to see and IGNORE... DO NOT PUNISH behaviour you do not want to see. If she won't take the treat then don't force it on her. Just say "good girl". Also, the dog will be sensitive right now for what you're doing while she's pooping so you shouldn't stand and stare at her while she's doing her business. Just ... I don't know ... check your phone or something. Make your reaction to it neutral.

By "resetting" and going through the steps again your dog should adjust. The stages will obviously go faster this time around because she's older and will have more control.

Since you've moved she may be feeling insecure about her new surroundings. Take extensive walks with her, criss-crossing through a range of about a kilometre from your house, which is where she has to feel the most "at home". The faster she feels comfortable with her new environment the better this will go.

good luck.

·
Super Moderator
2,505 Posts
@bigdave117 , I have lost count of the posts you have made here, and on the sister forum, about this.

I'm sorry but we have run out of things to tell you.

She shouldn't be pooping when you are not looking, because you shouldn't be ”not looking”.

You have found out the hard way what punishing her accidents does.

So, to repeat yet again - take her out frequently. Don't take your eyes off her indoors. If she won't take treats for outside toilets, go overboard with praise and let her see how happy outside toilets make you. Just clean up any accidents indoors, don't scold or hit her.

Please go back and read the replies you have already had. The answers are all in there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts