Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all, I have a 12yo Golden Retriever named Bishop who has been licking his paw a lot over the last couple of days. Initially I could not find anything wrong with his paw but upon a very close inspection, I found a very strange yellow line on the inside of his left front paw (in between his toes). I initially thought he had a tooth pick stuck between his toes but the yellow line is attached to his paw. It almost feels like a piece of ligament that is on the outside of his skin, but his paw doesn’t look red or swollen like he had injured the ligament. His paw is very sensitive though. I have included a picture and am hoping that you guys might have a good idea about what this could be. I know that I should be taking him to the Vet first thing, but I lost my job due to the Coronavirus pandemic and am now facing eviction so I am not sure how I will be able to afford the vet bill, I am trying to schedule an appointment through my local rescue to get this poor guy taking care of, it tears me up inside seeing him suffer like this.

·
Super Moderator
706 Posts
Could it be a grass seed or something embedded in it? Can you gently get tweezers on it, see if you can ease it out?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could it be a grass seed or something embedded in it? Can you gently get tweezers on it, see if you can ease it out?
Thank you for the advice but I don’t think it is grass seeds, it looks like a rubber band that is coming out of his paw. I have tried removing it with tweezers but it feels like it’s attached to the skin and I don’t feel comfortable removing it with how much it seems to hurt him even when I just poke at it.
Good news is that I have a vet appointment scheduled for Tomorrow Morning, I will make sure to update this thread with what the vet says.
It’s strange though, it’s almost as if there was a rubber band placed around him as a puppy and his paw has now grown around the rubber band, kinda like those horrific photos of fish that got caught in a plastic soda can holder and are now deformed because of the plastic wrapped around their body.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Crisis averted!!! It was just a rubber band. The vet had to sedate Bishop but was able to remove the rubber band without any issues. It was priceless watching the doctor bring Bishop out of the exam room, Bishop made 3 very slow steps, full of resent and then just passed out right there, two of the nurses had to pick him up and put him in the car for me. I am now worried about how his rubber band got on his paw in the first, god forbid somebody did this to torture my dog.

·
Super Moderator
706 Posts
Glad you got it sorted, does he dig with his paws at all? Maybe that's how he might have got it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts