Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,uk here,we have a small cross bred terrier of the border/lakeland type she is 5 years old and for the last 3 consecutive months has had 3 seizures all lasting approximately 20 seconds its not the fact that shes had them thats so strange but the fact that they all fell on a thursday upon awakening from sleep between the hours of 9 to 10 in the morning at said monthly intervals blood tests and a cranial nerve exam have shown nothing abnormal vet has prescribed a vallium like suppository if she stays in the fits for minutes at a time rather than seconds we cant pinpoint anything that occurs regularly that we can say is causing the problem we wondered if anyone here had a similar experience that could shed a little light on this issue for us kind regards,yours waiting,philip.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
The only advise I have is check her food and treats and make sure there is no coloring or dyes in the food.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for your input,we have her mostly on a light meal with occasional raw tripe meaty bones with sinew and oily fish regards,philip.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
what dry food are you feeding?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Sometimes it is really hard to find out the cause. My Shih Tzu x Maltese had his first seizure when he was four years old. He had them every few months and even though the Vet tested him for everything they can, we never discovered what caused them. They usually happened in the morning. He would suddenly throw up, then just fall over stiff or he would thrash a little. A few minutes later he would get up and be perfectly normal. About two years ago, they suddenly stopped and he did not have one till a couple of months ago. He has not had one since. He is nine years old now. The Vet did not want to put him on anything unless they got worse. I did get some rectal Valium to use if I have to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sometimes it is really hard to find out the cause. My Shih Tzu x Maltese had his first seizure when he was four years old. He had them every few months and even though the Vet tested him for everything they can, we never discovered what caused them. They usually happened in the morning. He would suddenly throw up, then just fall over stiff or he would thrash a little. A few minutes later he would get up and be perfectly normal. About two years ago, they suddenly stopped and he did not have one till a couple of months ago. He has not had one since. He is nine years old now. The Vet did not want to put him on anything unless they got worse. I did get some rectal Valium to use if I have to.
thanks for your input it sounds pretty similar to what we are faced with and is going to be something we have to adjust to living with regards,philip.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My English shepherd did something strange some time ago and has not repeated it since. He flopped over on his side and flapped his hind legs together. It looked like a seizure of some kind. He wasn't licking himself or doing any normal dog behavior. It lasted a few seconds, then he got up like nothing happened. Reading this thread makes me feel a little bit better, as it seems sometimes dogs spaz out for no discernible reason, but nothing is seriously wrong.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
hi she is on james wellbeloved small breed adult thanks
Thats a good food and looked at ingredients seem fine to me no colors or dys or bha etc. so not the food. Im a epileptic and you have no control over when they happen unless like me you get non epileptic ones too. But in saying that when i was a young girl (note had epilepsy since 1 year old) i only had them at night time apart from one time at school. So it could just be the pattern of the seizures the brain is a weird thing when comes to these things

·
Registered
40 Posts
Its often very difficult for vets to diagnose seizure related cases. This requires a comprehensive blood panel and perhaps x ray to rule out other possible causes. You might seek a different opinion from a different vet just to be sure.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Our shepherd mix seems to always have them when he is sound asleep. Always early in the morning, except for once. He'll have a seizure before we get up (and we don't know it's happening) then he'll come in the bedroom and bark. He's real confused and anxious. Then I get up and find the evidence. But yes, it seems to happen when he's asleep. It's heartbreaking.:(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts