Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was out of town last week, so my mother watched my 4 year-old Weimaraner for me. He's always a little ichy/licks a bit after he stays with her because he's a littler sensitive to grass. This time around I noticed him licking his paws a little more than usual, so naturally I investigated and am severely distraught by what I found. In between his toes on his rear paw appears to be some sort of growth. There are two of them, one much larger than the other, directly in the middle of the underside of his paw. They are flesh colored with a dark heads and very red/irritated towards the base. They're kind of hard at the head but a little softer near the base.

Another thing to mention was when I brought him home this past Sunday, he stepped on the front lawn to pee and let out a yelp and hopped off, as if he was stung by something. Could these be a reaction to a bee sting or insect bite?

I am posting this because I'd like to get a little insight before I take off work and pay a ton of money to get this checked out. I investigated a lot online prior to posting this, and I've read similar looking growths were everything from warts to fungus to cancer to just an infection. The closest image and description I found to his, said that the doctor removed the hair-like dark area from the head of the growth, cleaned it up because it was bleeding, and in less than a week they were gone. The dark head on my dogs growth looks like it could also be hair, but I am unsure.

I plan to go to the vet this Friday, but any insight would be great as most if the forums Ialso mentioned that their vets had no idea what it was. Worst case, i'll have it removed but I'm hoping there is a less expensive solution as things are extremely tight financially.

Attached is an image. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
They look like warts to me but having the vet get a sample to submit for testing is the best way to figure it out. Warts are very painful typically.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Warts

My chihuahua had a larger wart that appeared in the same location that your dog's growth has appeared. I went through the expense of surgery, only to find that the growth started coming back even before my poor dog had healed from the surgery. I went to another vet who told me that it doesn't do any good to try to remove this growth because unless you get the seed or core of it, it will grow back. I took my dog to her once a month to have the wart trimmed. She would trim it completely down as far as she could, which gave the dog complete relief and no pain until it started getting big again. After doing this for about one year, it stopped coming back and she never had a problem with it again. I would certainly try this before the expense of surgery.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts