Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon, our dog is 10 years old, female, since January she has had 4-5 strange episodes - she started to squeal / wail as if she was in a state of shock, for a while she was immobile (lying), after a few minutes she was OK again.
Moreover, a small bump (4 cm) appeared near her tail on her back and the bump disappeared within 12 hours. The last episode happened yesterday, today the vet made her blood tests and the results were within norm.
The only health problem she has ever had is heart murmur which was diagnosed in January this year. Please, have you got any idea what can be the cause of those episodes? Thank you very much.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My last dog had a couple of vestibular events towards the end of her life. Though there was no squealing - she just collapsed. Plus usually they have a head tilt for a while afterwards. She also started with seizures but these usually present with the dog thrashing around

·
Registered
145 Posts
My last dog had a couple of vestibular events towards the end of her life. Though there was no squealing - she just collapsed. Plus usually they have a head tilt for a while afterwards. She also started with seizures but these usually present with the dog thrashing around
Is it possible that the same thing could happen to another dog but the symptoms are different.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The bump could have been anything from a insect bite to a local allergic reaction. It could be completely unrelated to the other symptoms.

Sometimes, vets are unable to resolve the reasons that a dog has seizures, but the bloodtests are used to identify likely cause. The link I provided below has some good information.

One additional cause that you might want to talk about with your vet is tick-borne illnesses. Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever can cause neurological symptoms.

Dog Seizure Symptoms | petMD

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
tick-borne diseases in USA dogs

One additional cause that you might want to talk about with your vet is tick-borne illnesses.
Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever can cause neurological symptoms.

I lost my 1st heart-dog to UNtreated, mis-diagnosed Lyme disease -
he went from healthy & active to barely able to get up from lying down, in just 2-weeks' time. :(

[My then-vet blamed it on "rheumatoid arthritis", which made no sense - how could a dog with severe RA have swum an eighth of a mile in cold spring-fed quarry water, rested 20-mins with me, & swum back again easily, just a week B4 his mysterious symptoms began?
And RA does not explain his night-time anxiety, when he'd come to me with his heart galloping erratically, pounding so hard i could see the feathers on his brisket tremble with each heavy beat - he'd be panting, with a fever of 102'F or a little more.]

for the USA, here are good websites on tick-borne diseases & dogs:

7 Major Canine Tick-Borne Diseases - Wide Open Pets

Map:
RECORDED cases of 4 tick-borne diseases [USA & Canada]
Map of ticks and diseases ? dogs and ticks

Ehrlichiosis, Lyme disease, anaplasmosis, & heartworm -
click on Ur state to see Dx'd cases for Ur area; bear in mind that many cases are never Dx'd, & thus numbers are under-reported; the risk of infection could be higher than the data here indicate, but will def not be 'lower'.

- terry

·
Registered
713 Posts
If your dog has another episode try to get a video of it so you can show your vet. Neurological issues can be difficult to nail down a diagnosis, this is often because the descriptive terms and language used by owners to describe the event doesn't often fall in line with medical terminology; and what looks like a full blown seizure to one person is just a cold shivering dog to the next. Owners are often so "freaked out" by the event that they completely block out everything leading up to it, which is a critical time period to potentially diagnose the trigger for the event.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts