Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog ( a Japanese Spitz) has recently developed an obsession with the plastic component which you find inside sqeaky toys. (it's the part which makes the squeaky sound) There are various things she does: She keeps it inside her mouth and walks around whining, she lies on the floor protecting it with her paws, she insists on getting onto the couch with you, even if there is no room. She wants to be close to you if she has the component in her mouth. She treats it like it is very precious to her and if you take it away she will not stop looking for it. She will allow us to take it out of her mouth and shows no agression when we do. She also pants very heavily. Please give suggestions or advise, we have no idea why she could be doing this.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi and welcome to the dog forum toriapatel. That is very interesting behavior on her part. She seems like she's got an anxiety of some form. To be honest, I'd take it way and toss it. I'd be more worried over her possibly ingesting the component and needing to visit a vet. She will work over her anxiety, but it may take her some time. Can you give her a new toy-no squeeker- that will get her focus off the component? You could try a treat dispensing type of toy.
Also, in rereading your post, she also seems like she had formed an unusual attachment to the toy part. Im wondering if she is lonely? Do you have another dog?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Georgiegirl,

Thanks a lot for replying. I took your advise and it has worked. She is not looking for it anymore and her behaviour is normal.

·
Registered
94 Posts
It's great to hear that trying the no-squeaker toy seems to be working for you. Xander loves the little plastic squeaker inside his toys...he tears them up just to get it out...then to his dismay I take it away and dispose of it (I'm always afraid he'll swallow it)...but then he just continues playing afterwards, no biggie. Gotta luv our puppies :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
i think this will be a better solution.... i can understand the dog has created a special attachment towards the component.... i think you can record the sound of the whistle and play it ofte or engsage him in various running activities so that he can be engaged in physical work and interesting and he will sure forget about the component.... because he feels it is the only playmate for him so you can engage him other play games so he will forget it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts