Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. This I my first post on here but I've been reading stuff on here for a little while. The reason I'm posting now is because I'm not sure how to handle my current situation.

My german shepherd and I moved in with my gf and her 2 cats in December. My gsd will be 2 in September.

The way we have it set up is that our master bedroom has been gated so the cats have a safe place, and the rest of our place has been the dogs area. When we can we take my dog into the bedroom and we'll do a hang out, and/or the cats will come out to our living room here and there.

That all has been going ok and has been getting better but the issue is that when the cats come out into the main room I usually put my dog in a "stay" or in his "place." Well as soon as I release him, he'll sort of take off into a frantic sniff, and smell there entire trail of where the cat walked. The other issue is that when we're laying in the main room, he can't help but stare down the hall way where they come... And sometimes he'll get up out of no where and think a cat came out and sniff/whine/small bark frantically, even when they haven't come out. It's like he can't relax completely.

I'm really at a lose with this one. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Sounds pretty normal to me. He's curious about the cats, and I think allowing him to sniff and get use to the smell if fine...don't stop him. As time goes by and he sees the cats more often and associates the smell with them he will hopefully settle down and not be so wound up with them close by or sniffing everywhere they were at after they leave the room.

You might put him on a leash 'just in case' for a while when the cats are in the same room with him...but allow him to stand and look at the cats, or try to sniff them. Try not to raise your voice or scare him though into minding his 'manners' around the cats...that could have the opposite effect. He could then associate the cats with being in trouble.

The cats, too, will kind of sense when/if they feel the dog is safe. I've had a number of cats that outlived some of my dogs and when new adopted dogs came into my home...it was the cats that pretty much determined when they felt safe.
I had two dogs, Harper and HaHa, that I brought in and the cats were comfortable around them with a few days. Same cats with another dog named, Lacey...the cats stayed a little cagey around Lacey for about 3 weeks. Lacey showed a quiet interest in them but never went after them or growled...but the cats didn't seem to trust her as fast as they did with Harper and later on HaHa.

Hope that soon all your pets will be comfortable around each other. Take it slow and keep them supervised for some time even after it looks like things are going well.

Stormy

Reactions: Rain
1 - 3 of 3 Posts