Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I think I know the answer to this question, but is it risky too store unopened dog food in the same place as everyday cleaning products?

I have a small house with not much storage and I am having to get in a housemate soon so I am trying to make some room for them, and I don't really want to keep dog food in the pantry cupboard when someone moves in.

I have a utility cupboard under the laundry sink in which I keep cleaning products, I'm thinking of putting the products on one side and the dog food on the other.

Does anybody store their pups food in a similar place?

·
Registered
202 Posts
As long as you don't have products that are prone to spilling/spraying by themselves it's fine. My dog food and family dogs food was always kept under the kitchen sink with cleaning products with no issue.

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
I don't, not worth the risk. I store the dog food under a cabinet with the rice/flour bags typically, and sometimes some baking trays and the like. I'll be getting a roommate too but it's MUCH safe to put it there than somewhere more accessible to the dogs, and under sinks can cause leaks (mold, rot), and I wouldn't want to risk getting even just regular handmade soap in a whole bag of food-I can't imagine the taste will be palatable enough for them to continue eating normally.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I solved this by buying a large, sealing tupperware tub (4-5 gallons) to put the bulk of my dog's food in, then stored the rest elseware (also in a tub). Sometimes, you don't have much of a choice--but I hate the paper bags they put dog food in...its asking for trouble and dosn't seal well.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Personally I would get two larger rubbermaid open top totes...one to keep the cleaning supplies in and one to keep the food in...that way if either spills you do not have any cross contamination. Think of them as side by side drawers under the counter.

...or get a hard plastic food locker for the food.

Biggest hazard would be a cleaning supply leaking and getting into the bottom of a food bag and you not even realizing it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Katina, I think the best way to answer this is: would you store your flour and cereal in that cupboard?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts