Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering which stores allow dogs/puppies so I can get out and socialize my new puppy in different types of environments. I know Home Depot does. Obviously want to avoid Petco/Petsmart for the first few weeks until vaccinations are finished so figured I'd go to "non" doggie places.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
In all honesty, stores that allow dogs are some of the very worst places to try and socialize a new pup. There are too many variables, and i can say from experience, many people have no clue what they are doing. I've seen so many people bring reactive dogs that lose their minds in pet stores. I actually stopped taking my guys there because of that fact.

If you really want to be proactive with socializing and dont have any other dogs that could readily help(friends or families dogs) than i would suggest taking a class.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Try calling around to hardware stores and I've heard some bookstores will allow dogs. Pretty much any place that doesn't have or prepare food. My pharmacy allows dogs. You'll probably have better luck with mom and pop type stores then with chain stores but it doesn't hurt to call.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm lucky enough to live in a country where dogs are allowed pretty much everywhere except grocery stores. This includes malls, clothing stores, and all restaurants. Sometimes I feel real sorry for the US folks, not being able to take their pups anywhere...:(
When I was living in the US, I could take my dog to Bass Pro Shop and Barnes and Noble.

·
Registered
917 Posts
You're lucky Ursie, I'd love to take Freyja to more places. She is really well behaved and while she lets people pet her isn't really interested in meeting them. One place she does love going is the local flea market, she has a couple of vendor friends there.

Reactions: MHDDOG2016

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
My Lowes is pet friendly, but I had to call up and ask. Also feed stores are a possible place to take your dog. As far as I know they should be pet friendly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts