Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a wonderful 10 mos old Mini Poodle who's perfect in just about every way. One of the very few issues is that he's constantly pushing his toys under our couches so he then starts to paw at the couch and the hardwood on which they sit. Not good for either one!

What would be a positive approach to training him too keep away from those areas? Any idea would be appreciated!

TIA,
David

·
Super Moderator
10,737 Posts
Blocking off under the couch is the easiest solution.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not training

yes, but that's not training him and I'd rather not have 2X4s in my living room until he passes away in 17 yrs.

I'm looking for a positive training solution....any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
10,737 Posts
Only one way that I know of. You could try training him to only play with his toys in a certain area, I've taught my boy that he can only eat messy chews on a towel, and he knows that if he moves off it I'll move him back on, so he stays on the towel. Something like that may work. Only play with him in one area, when he moves out the area move him back, if he keeps moving out of the area end play time and put the toy away. Other then that I'm not sure what else you can teach him. It's not like he's doing it on purpose or it's something in his control.

The good thing about the insulation is that it's dark and not really noticeable unless a person gets down on all 4's or really stares at the bottom of the couch.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry, I didn't see anything about insulation. It's true; perhaps placing dark stryofoam or something similar under the couches would be the easiest solution.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, at Rain's suggestion, I went to Home Depot on the hunt for a good solution. I found it!

I got 10 feet of 2X3 aluminum flashing which I easily cut to length and placed about 3" from the front face of the couch and just used painter's tape to adhere the back of the flashing to the floor. Marley, that night, tried to push a toy under the couch and FREAKED OUT! He was so curious about what was happening! LOL The flashing is dark brown and probably not that easily seen at night (which is a nice feature).

It may be coincidence but he's yet to try to push another toy under the couch. We'll see if that holds but perhaps he's learned it won't work. This, of course, strongly suggests that he INTENDED for the toys to go under the couch all along....NAUGHTY PUPPY. ;-)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Only one way that I know of. You could try training him to only play with his toys in a certain area, I've taught my boy that he can only eat messy chews on a towel, and he knows that if he moves off it I'll move him back on, so he stays on the towel. Something like that may work. Only play with him in one area, when he moves out the area move him back, if he keeps moving out of the area end play time and put the toy away.
Great suggestion Rain! I also have the same thought. It would be better to let him play with his toys in a certain area for example in a place where your valuable furnitures are not there just like your couch.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Great suggestion Rain! I also have the same thought. It would be better to let him play with his toys in a certain area for example in a place where your valuable furnitures are not there just like your couch.
You're right lauren. I can't afford to buy another couch so what I did is I let her play in our stock room which is clean of course and yes I don't have to worry coz she is far from our furnitures.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Only one way that I know of. You could try training him to only play with his toys in a certain area, I've taught my boy that he can only eat messy chews on a towel, and he knows that if he moves off it I'll move him back on, so he stays on the towel. Something like that may work. Only play with him in one area, when he moves out the area move him back, if he keeps moving out of the area end play time and put the toy away. Other then that I'm not sure what else you can teach him. It's not like he's doing it on purpose or it's something in his control.

The good thing about the insulation is that it's dark and not really noticeable unless a person gets down on all 4's or really stares at the bottom of the couch.
Yeah nice thoughts Rain! I'd be doing this too since I have the same problem as theirs. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi There, after not having a solution to the same problem I invented this! Easily wraps around couch legs and stops toys from going underneath! Its called a Gap Bumper you can order it on the site or on Amazon. Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts