Dog Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently adopted a 2nd dog (1 week ago). She is a 1-2yr old black lab and is finally starting to come into her own and find her personality. We also have a 7yr old chocolate lab. Overall they are adjusting well together, playing nicely and slowly starting to bond.

Here's the problem: Our new dog is a chewer. I know this is normal for labs and we went through the same phase with our other dog. However, I have been advised not to give the dogs toys while they are together because it could create aggression and fighting between the two of them.

Does anyone have suggestions on what I can do to help curb my new dog's chewing without creating a dog fight?

·
Registered
13 Posts
get 2 water buffalo horns , one for each , the young one will chew , it may be less when it gets used to your house but dogs chew , and better something good for them that shoes and furniture

·
Registered
165 Posts
I would still give appropriate chew toys but I would make sure both get something and I would only give those items under close supervision. If you're there watching, keep an eye out for early signs of resource guarding and address as needed (there are lots of stickies on resource guarding on this forum).

If the two dogs are going to be left alone then it's probably safer that either the chews are given only if the two dogs are separated (different rooms, in crates, etc) or just crate the new dog so that she can't chew.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts