Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I trying to find out what could be causing my dog to start with firm stools and then end with soft stools. Sometimes he has the runs. My dog is a Lab 1 year 2 months old. Any help would be appreciated. :confused:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Eating too much or switching food too quickly can cause that. If you look at the feeding suggestion at the side of the bag, it will tell you how much food he needs and when you switching his food, try mixing the new food in bit by bit so he can adjust to the new food. However if this problem doesn't seem to go away, having your dog checked is a good idea.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there - I just joined and am still finding my way around.

I have my first dog and he is a Dalmatian. I've had him from 4 weeks on (rescue from Gypsies) and we have grown very close. He has developed into a really nice, obidient dog. Still, I have TWO problems.

1. He is really greedy and he grawls even when we walk past him. I couldn't take food out of his mouth, neither would he give it to me if he was asked. This will cause a problem in the future, as I feel he would be 'unsafe'???

2. Ever since I have had him, he has on/off diarrhea and I don't know what to feed him? I like the idea of BARF, but it is not available in the UK. The alternative for me was ORIJEN (grain free). ORIJEN is Kibble though and I'm not that keen on it. I've been home-cooking 4 times a day. Than I started feeding kibble in the morning, 3 chicken RAW chicken wings for lunch and home-cook in the evening.

Today he started haveing watery diarrhea again... I am at a loss???? ;-(

Any ideas???

·
Registered
115 Posts
Orijen is a good food and it is a results of slow cooking process over low temperature so actually this food similar to BARF diet in a way. I normally feed my Yorkies Orijen and Instinct of Nature's Variety. Once a while, I'll give them raw just to make the meal interesting.

For the aggression, if you make him wait then place a morsel of his food in his bowl. Give him an order to take it then add another morsel in his bowl and keep repeating this, it might help because he will make a connection that you are his source of food. If he growl at you, make a long pause before giving him the next morsel to show him that you are in charge.

About his diarrhea, I am not sure why. Some people said that you shouldn't mix kibbles with raw food but it didn't seem like you're doing it. Have you talked to his vet?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts