Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, My 4 year old female jack russell, Molly stomach looks very bloated and when you push on to the sides this may sound weird but it feels hollow like there is a lot of air. Also she is suffering from a very bad rash which is very itchy that it actually bleeds, we took her to a vet which gave her cortisone cream and tablets which helps but cortisone is bad so we were told not to give it for to long but when we stop it she starts itching again. Please help! I love her so much, you may think im 'weird' but she is my baby, my best friend and a part of my family.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Have you spoken to your vet after the first visit? What did he say about long term cortisone use? What about allergy testing?

Cortisone is potentially dangerous, but it's better than being miserably itchy every day of your life, and you can minimize the risks with careful monitoring.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you spoken to your vet after the first visit? What did he say about long term cortisone use? What about allergy testing?

Cortisone is potentially dangerous, but it's better than being miserably itchy every day of your life, and you can minimize the risks with careful monitoring.
My vet comes to my house, she said after a week half the tablet after a week quarter it. I stopped it as it changed her personality a bit and she could not sleep properly. I think its the grass and/or change of humidity etc.. as we moved beginning of 2013. I'm planning on going to the vet on Saturday.

Any advice on her stomach, it does not look normal or I have not seen it like this before.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
My vet comes to my house, she said after a week half the tablet after a week quarter it. I stopped it as it changed her personality a bit and she could not sleep properly. I think its the grass and/or change of humidity etc.. as we moved beginning of 2013. I'm planning on going to the vet on Saturday.

Any advice on her stomach, it does not look normal or I have not seen it like this before.
Don't wait until Saturday on the stomach. At least call and ask what they think.

You can do allergy tests to confirm what she's allergic to, and there are treatments other than cortisone for allergies. If it is environmental, there are things you can do along with medicine. You can wash her with a gentle shampoo once a week, you can wipe her off with hypoallergenic baby wipes after she goes outside, you can vacuum and dust* regularly (vacuum every day, dust 3x weekly), you can wash bedding and your own clothing regularly.

All of those things will lessen her exposure to allergens and hopefully give her body a chance to stop reacting so severely, when combined with medicine.

I would also take a multiprong approach and change her food, if she isn't the sort of dog who gets violently ill if you change foods. (If she is, I'd sort out the worst of the allergic response first and then slowly change foods.) I'd cut out grains and chicken altogether, in food and treats, just to remove the most common food allergens. I'd start her on a protein she hasn't had before, like pork, fish, lamb, venison, etc. Allergies can promote other allergies, so removing food allergens might help her other allergies, if she can tolerate food changes reasonably well.

ETA: Not all dogs do particularly well on a no grain diet, so you'll want to monitor and see how she does. If she doesn't do well grain free, I'd choose a grain like rice, rather than corn or wheat.

*You need to use something like the Swiffer Dusters for this to be effective, otherwise you're just spreading allergens around.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to phone the vet today and see if she can come have a look at her.

She was itching terribly today walking up and down so I gave her a cortisone.
I have tried many different foods from the most exoensive and recommended ones and she only wants to eat...Bobtail.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts